Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's up with all the recipes with Munich malt??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

It's bizarre that you would consider the use of Munich malt to be "cheating". It has a flavor and use of it's own, and it isn't just for the styles that you mentioned. I like it because it adds a nice malty quality but ferments well unlike crystal malts. The only malt I could really see as being a cheat would be melanoidin malt, for use in replacing a decoction mash. This thread reminds me of the one where the guy said that the only purpose of brewing sour beers was to cover up the flaws of a poorly made brew. Then he went on to say that he hasn't actually tried any sour beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Droot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Leave the style police at home for a minute.

Ever make a beer of 100% munich? I did it for a club, we each took a gallon and added a different yeast. All the beers were good. Mine was Wyeast 1007. Delicious.

I think I mashed 21 lbs.

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 11-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
bottlebomber
Recipes 

American styles are non-traditional by nature. Anything goes, just like the country. The only style we have that is indigenous is Steam Beer as far as I know.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droot
Ever make a beer of 100% munich?
I got one in a home brew trade recently. Pretty good, and very similar in color and flavor to my 100% Vienna lager SMaSH. All by itself I think the malt is a little one dimensional though.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Since I have yet to brew an "American" style beer, and don't know if I ever will, Munich probably won't ever be milled/mashed here. With the range of styles available to me, that are from the British Isles, I can't see going to another region (style wise) for some time (if ever). I don't [really] have any interest in brewing a lager even. For one things, I don't want to set up a chamber in order to properly lager. For another, I'm very happy brewing with ale yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer
In looking through Brewing Classic Styles, I see that Munich is NOT used in any of the classic English styles, including stouts, pale ales, and IPA's.
That's what I'm talking about too. I don't have that book, but I do have the small books for a few of the styles I am brewing. I especially like the one on Barley Wines.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

I tend to care more about how my beer tastes than if the ingredients are "normally" used in the style.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 357 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 148

It does seem an odd sentiment to accuse others of "copping out" or "cheating" for using an ingredient because they like the flavor, and admittedly one that you have no experience with. Unless we are entering a competition or marketing a beer as a certain style, why not use whatever we want? You may prefer to limit your focus to traditional styles of one region, but most of us do not. I think that's one of the best things about this hobby.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
WilliamWS
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also found it interesting that the use of Munich is being knocked by someone who has, admittedly, never used Munich.

Also, Golddiggie, I don't think it's particularly traditional for an old ale to be aged on cherry so that must be wrong, too. And I hope there's no coffee in that mocha porter.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Since I have yet to brew an "American" style beer, and don't know if I ever will, Munich probably won't ever be milled/mashed here.
Not sure why you'd want to limit yourself in terms of malt selection, and I'd never consider using Munich "cheating". I use it up to 20% or so (sometimes more) in a lot of my beers - American, Belgian, and German styles - because it has a great (and unique) flavor, and is very versatile. I haven't brewed any British styles, so I can't really comment on how it might add to (or detract from) those.

Everybody has their own brewing style, so I don't knock those who like to adhere to fairly strict style definitions. But for me, there's a huge palette of malts, hops, and yeast strains out there and endless combinations to arrive at delicious beers, so I don't ever restrict myself to what others think is "appropriate". To each their own.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad
It does seem an odd sentiment to accuse others of "copping out" or "cheating" for using an ingredient because they like the flavor, and admittedly one that you have no experience with. Unless we are entering a competition or marketing a beer as a certain style, why not use whatever we want? You may prefer to limit your focus to traditional styles of one region, but most of us do not. I think that's one of the best things about this hobby.
To help put this in context for you, Golddiggie recently had to excuse himself from a thread based on support for those afflicted by Hurricane Sandy after stating that he didn't see what the big deal was, all that happened to him was that his DirectTV went out. So needless to say he has issues with seeing things from other prospectives than his own.

Quick Reply