Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's the right way to sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 02:51 AM   #1
beernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's the right way to sparge?

I'm getting ready to do my first all grain batch. I've read differing views on sparging. It seems all that is required is to rinse the grain bed, but one author says you should have 1", 2", or even more water standing on top of the bed. That seems more like a bath than a rinse. I envision sprinkling water on the bed at a rate slow enough it doesn't stand on the grain bed. Or is proper sparging somewhere in the middle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
strat40
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Water level

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernut
I'm getting ready to do my first all grain batch. I've read differing views on sparging. It seems all that is required is to rinse the grain bed, but one author says you should have 1", 2", or even more water standing on top of the bed. That seems more like a bath than a rinse. I envision sprinkling water on the bed at a rate slow enough it doesn't stand on the grain bed. Or is proper sparging somewhere in the middle?
You'll want to maintain 1-2" of water on top. This will help the mash "float", and help prevent a stuck runoff. This will also help your yield as well. If the mash is allowed to sink down, it will tend to compact. Then you'll have a wonderful opportunity to think up long and creative bunches of colorful swear words. This is especially important in infusion mashes. (floating, not swearing)
Hope this helps you..
Tom

Old 01-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

What Tom said. Stuck mashes are the worst. 1 inch at least on top.

Janx

Old 03-24-2005, 12:28 AM   #4
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat40
You'll want to maintain 1-2" of water on top. This will help the mash "float", and help prevent a stuck runoff. This will also help your yield as well. If the mash is allowed to sink down, it will tend to compact. Then you'll have a wonderful opportunity to think up long and creative bunches of colorful swear words. This is especially important in infusion mashes. (floating, not swearing)
Hope this helps you..
Tom
Hahahahaha, that's funny!! I've come up with some words that later I was mighty proud of!!! hahahahahaha

Old 03-28-2005, 06:05 AM   #5
Uncle Fat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually try to maintain a water level that's even with my grain level during sparge. I've never had a stuck mash (even when using flaked oats). As mentioned, don't let it sink far below that though... You don't want to risk a very bad brew day.

Our beverage that art in kegs,
Hallowed be thy tap,
With thee supplied, we will imbibe,
At home as we do in the public house.
Give us this day our liquid bread
And forgive us our spills
As we forgive those who spill upon us.
Lead us not unto hangovers
But deliver us from overindulgence.
Ahh Malt.

Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
-annonymous

Quick Reply