The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's with the BIAB fan boys?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #71
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
This thread has certainly taken off...and apparently chapped some asses, which wasn't my intention.
Really? What did you expect with a title like "What's with the BIAB fan boys"?
People Like This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #72
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
I always read all threads with a grain of salt. When I was a wee lad, I had a conversation with the father of a friend of mine. We were discussing motor oil and he professed that motor oil XXX was the best stuff made since pharoah. I knew he happened to be the regional salesman for motor oil XXX, and I figured I would get a little lesson on motor oil chemistry, so I asked "why is it better?". He looked at me, stunned. Then he shrugged his shoulders and said " I don't know, it just is". Needless to say, I never took automotive advice from that particular man again. The point is that if someone chooses to post information here, I listen critically and look for the answer to the question "why?" If someone is willing to engage in an intellectual conversation, I will listen. If not, i usually remove myself from the thread and move on my way. I started with extract and steeping grains, and made very good beers for quite a while. This past summer I switched to AG BIAB for many of the reasons listed above. There are drawbacks, which anyone that has done a 10 gallon BIAB batch already understands. Personally, if I choose to add a mash tun to my equipment list, I will most likely line it with a bag, not a manifold. That's my choice. Since I haven't done it yet, I do not choose to offer that as a viable alternative. Once I have facts on the method, I may elect to share them here, if i believe it will be helpful to others. To those "traditional" 3 vessel brewers; I have read and learned a great deal from your AG threads about protein rests, to mash out or not, etc., I have yet to find experiences in 3 vessel AG that did not directly translate to BIAB. To me BIAB is "real AG brewing", its just a different way of separating the grains from the wort. I am a bit weary of the discussion of "real AG" vs "BIAB AG" To me we're all brewers, whether we use extracts, bags or 3 vessels. We all have much to learn from each other's successes and mistakes. That's what this forum is for, and quite frankly, threads like this is one of the reasons I will most likely never join a local brew club.
Just about as succinct as you can get on the whole subject.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #73
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Really? What did you expect with a title like "What's with the BIAB fan boys"?
I had to LOL at that as well...

Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #74
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
You dont need three vessels it makes it easier though.

I have one 10 gallon kettle and a cooler MLT.

I use a large pasta pot for my sparge water additions

If you dont have that you can always use a bucket to collect your wort while you sparge with your brew kettle.

*Edit you should probably just BIAB, that's what all the cool kids are doing. Apparently the aborigines pioneered it and the kiwis took it international.
Umm, no offense, but you're using three vessels there: kettle pot, MLT cooler, and sparge pot.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #75
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
I always read all threads with a grain of salt. When I was a wee lad, I had a conversation with the father of a friend of mine. We were discussing motor oil and he professed that motor oil XXX was the best stuff made since pharoah. I knew he happened to be the regional salesman for motor oil XXX, and I figured I would get a little lesson on motor oil chemistry, so I asked "why is it better?". He looked at me, stunned. Then he shrugged his shoulders and said " I don't know, it just is". Needless to say, I never took automotive advice from that particular man again. The point is that if someone chooses to post information here, I listen critically and look for the answer to the question "why?" If someone is willing to engage in an intellectual conversation, I will listen. If not, i usually remove myself from the thread and move on my way. I started with extract and steeping grains, and made very good beers for quite a while. This past summer I switched to AG BIAB for many of the reasons listed above. There are drawbacks, which anyone that has done a 10 gallon BIAB batch already understands. Personally, if I choose to add a mash tun to my equipment list, I will most likely line it with a bag, not a manifold. That's my choice. Since I haven't done it yet, I do not choose to offer that as a viable alternative. Once I have facts on the method, I may elect to share them here, if i believe it will be helpful to others. To those "traditional" 3 vessel brewers; I have read and learned a great deal from your AG threads about protein rests, to mash out or not, etc., I have yet to find experiences in 3 vessel AG that did not directly translate to BIAB. To me BIAB is "real AG brewing", its just a different way of separating the grains from the wort. I am a bit weary of the discussion of "real AG" vs "BIAB AG" To me we're all brewers, whether we use extracts, bags or 3 vessels. We all have much to learn from each other's successes and mistakes. That's what this forum is for, and quite frankly, threads like this is one of the reasons I will most likely never join a local brew club.
I agree with everything but your last comment. The homebrew club I'm in has brewers of all different levels: extract, PM, BIAB, 3 vessel. There isn't any issue between members, everyone's supportive.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #76
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2936 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post
Woah, Woah, Woah. Please do not take that post serious. I meant to be sarcastic but apparently it was a poor joke. I BIAB and love it. I'm just getting a little defensive. Apologies for any offense.
I read it as irony in the last line. I laughed.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #77
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Because it's like mowing your lawn your entire life without a lawn bag attached to the mower, letting the cut grass spew everywhere, and then buying a mower with a lawn bag attachment. Why go back? It's just easier, more convenient, and makes for quicker clean-up.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #78
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sentiments that BIAB is inherently inferior to 3-vessel brewing, or a step before graduation to 3-vessel brewing, contribute to the mythology and tend to provoke a response. QED

Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #79
Skelator
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
This thread has certainly taken off...and apparently chapped some asses, which wasn't my intention.
Well, you called a segment of the forum population 'fan boys' as well as closed minded... I'd say you got exactly what you wanted from your post.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #80
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Because it's like mowing your lawn your entire life without a lawn bag attached to the mower, letting the cut grass spew everywhere, and then buying a mower with a lawn bag attachment. Why go back? It's just easier, more convenient, and makes for quicker clean-up.
Wait . . . explain this in English please.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply