Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's with the BIAB fan boys?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #61
wherestheyeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
How hard is it to pick up a 5 dollar ice chest second hand and build a braid?

I've done both, I'll spend the extra 10 dollars and one hour of time to build it.
I've asked earlier, and I'll ask here again: If you want to do traditional all-grain, don't you need three vessels? I.E., don't you need a vessel for sparge water, your mash tun, AND a kettle for the boil?

I'm asking because I'm curious (I'd like to try traditional AG), but also I want to understand the comparative simplicity.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #62
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Tell me about it. Those a hole BIABers and their stupid 2 cents. They don't know anything. Just a bunch of cheap, lazy, beginners, practicing for "real" brewing. They should save their dumb ass opinions for some sort of forum dedicated to homwbrewing.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #63
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherestheyeast View Post
I've asked earlier, and I'll ask here again: If you want to do traditional all-grain, don't you need three vessels? I.E., don't you need a vessel for sparge water, your mash tun, AND a kettle for the boil?

I'm asking because I'm curious (I'd like to try traditional AG), but also I want to understand the comparative simplicity.

You dont need three vessels it makes it easier though.

I have one 10 gallon kettle and a cooler MLT.

I use a large pasta pot for my sparge water additions

If you dont have that you can always use a bucket to collect your wort while you sparge with your brew kettle.

*Edit you should probably just BIAB, that's what all the cool kids are doing. Apparently the aborigines pioneered it and the kiwis took it international.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #64
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Speaking of saving dumb ass opinions....def a cheap shot.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #65
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This thread has certainly taken off...and apparently chapped some asses, which wasn't my intention.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #66
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

nah,just that #62 was a bit over the top.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #67
Krovitz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Speaking of saving dumb ass opinions....def a cheap shot.
Woah, Woah, Woah. Please do not take that post serious. I meant to be sarcastic but apparently it was a poor joke. I BIAB and love it. I'm just getting a little defensive. Apologies for any offense.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #68
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post
Woah, Woah, Woah. Please do not take that post serious. I meant to be sarcastic but apparently it was a poor joke. I BIAB and love it. I'm just getting a little defensive. Apologies for any offense.
I gathered a hint of sarcasm in your first post, but you might want to add an emoticon as it can be hard to gauge sarcasm in writing...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #69
Krovitz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan

I gathered a hint of sarcasm in your first post, but you might want to add an emoticon as it can be hard to gauge sarcasm in writing...
Noted.

I'm having a panic attack thinking I just pissed off the guy whose countless posts, advice, and opinions have exponentially increased my beers quality.

Xpertskir: I understand your original point. Some of the other posters I started taking a little too personal. Sorry again. I shall kindly bow out of this debate.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #70
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 78 Posts

I always read all threads with a grain of salt. When I was a wee lad, I had a conversation with the father of a friend of mine. We were discussing motor oil and he professed that motor oil XXX was the best stuff made since pharoah. I knew he happened to be the regional salesman for motor oil XXX, and I figured I would get a little lesson on motor oil chemistry, so I asked "why is it better?". He looked at me, stunned. Then he shrugged his shoulders and said " I don't know, it just is". Needless to say, I never took automotive advice from that particular man again. The point is that if someone chooses to post information here, I listen critically and look for the answer to the question "why?" If someone is willing to engage in an intellectual conversation, I will listen. If not, i usually remove myself from the thread and move on my way. I started with extract and steeping grains, and made very good beers for quite a while. This past summer I switched to AG BIAB for many of the reasons listed above. There are drawbacks, which anyone that has done a 10 gallon BIAB batch already understands. Personally, if I choose to add a mash tun to my equipment list, I will most likely line it with a bag, not a manifold. That's my choice. Since I haven't done it yet, I do not choose to offer that as a viable alternative. Once I have facts on the method, I may elect to share them here, if i believe it will be helpful to others. To those "traditional" 3 vessel brewers; I have read and learned a great deal from your AG threads about protein rests, to mash out or not, etc., I have yet to find experiences in 3 vessel AG that did not directly translate to BIAB. To me BIAB is "real AG brewing", its just a different way of separating the grains from the wort. I am a bit weary of the discussion of "real AG" vs "BIAB AG" To me we're all brewers, whether we use extracts, bags or 3 vessels. We all have much to learn from each other's successes and mistakes. That's what this forum is for, and quite frankly, threads like this is one of the reasons I will most likely never join a local brew club.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply