Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's with the BIAB fan boys?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #31
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I get it. There is more than one way to all grain and BiaB isn't the only way or the "best" way. I keg and bottle too.

I love my 2 tier setup I built with my brew buddy. But I'll be moving soon and leaving that behind so I'll go BiaB until i can put together another stand. The point is that there are many ways to get to the same result when it comes to beer. And just because the way i do it is different doesn't mean its wrong or bad. Just don't go all gaga over your process and discount someone else.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #32
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
@ReverseApacheMaster - you mentioned fancy tools. What's so fancy about a rubbermaid cooler and a length of vinyl hosing? Unless I'm forgetting something I don't see what else requires one to do traditional AG, that's what I'm using. I know you're probably talking about the more complex brew stand setups and such, HERMS, RIMS, etc but that isn't necessary to do AG the traditional way.

A lot of the argument I see against traditional AG is equipment but outside of a cooler with a spigot and some vinyl tubing to drain with I honestly don't know what extra gear all the fuss is about. And I think every household has regular pots lying around to use to heat the strike and sparge water. I use one pot for heating of water.

Rev.
Yeah I was speaking generally about the equipment from cooler to more elaborate set ups. A cooler isn't a "fancy tool" but it does require some modification. Not a lot but more than sticking grain in a bag and dropping it in hot water.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #33
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 380

We know Revvy, but this is an open discussion forum and topics almost never stay perfectly on point. When someone mentions fancy tools for AG I just feel the need to ask what fancy tools we're referring to and I think it's on topic because I think maybe that belief is partly what's behind some of the responses the OP is referring to.

Rev.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #34
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was a vocal group of BIABers on this site, as it makes sense for a large number of people that visit this site. Anyone who has spent any time on this board will tell you that there are a large number of novice brewers that post on this site, all you have to do is look for the basic questions on process (it's been 24 hours and my airlock isn't bubbling, is my beer ruined?). Because of the large number of novice brewers, there are a lot of questions on how to make "the jump" to all grain. Given that a lot of brewers don't stick with the hobby in the long run, it makes the most sense for BIAB to be a very attractive option, in order to allow novice brewers to go all grain without a larger investment.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #35
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You guys aren't getting what the OP and I are saying....you're all now defending BIAB or arguing point/counterpoint and turning the OP's observation into something different. You don't need to defend why you BIAB or any other method. We're not talking ABOUT THE METHOD....

We're talking about how some folks present "the method" in other threads.....
I think I heard my name being spoken......

Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #36
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I already told the OP that when I come upon them in the future I'll post them here, so folks can see. You who BIAB probably don't even notice them or notice when they seem inappropriate. You don't see other types of AG brewers say "buy a cooler." or "build a Zap a Pap" And you rarely see these days on here someone other than a zealot say "go ag" but you do quite often see someone say something like "Biab it." Even if the Op is actually a simple question about an extract batch.
Excellent. If I run across any I will do the same. I will like wise post those quotes from other types AG brewers that "you don't see".
I can attest to the fact that there are smart asses from every type of brewing technique.
I am not one of them and I don't care what style people use just as long as they make the beer they like and enjoy doing it. I don't like people that act like their way is the only way as much as I hate beer snobs.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #37
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was a vocal group of BIABers on this site, as it makes sense for a large number of people that visit this site. Anyone who has spent any time on this board will tell you that there are a large number of novice brewers that post on this site, all you have to do is look for the basic questions on process (it's been 24 hours and my airlock isn't bubbling, is my beer ruined?). Because of the large number of novice brewers, there are a lot of questions on how to make "the jump" to all grain. Given that a lot of brewers don't stick with the hobby in the long run, it makes the most sense for BIAB to be a very attractive option, in order to allow novice brewers to go all grain without a larger investment.
I thought most novice brewers were extract brewers. I didn't know most novices were starting out with the BIAB technique.
Is that like saying people with signatures the size of the Wall Street Journal documenting every beer they have ever brewed have L.A.M.S.?

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #38
wherestheyeast
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

As others have said I think it's part excitement, part defense of process and part informational.

I'm a new brewer and 'discovered' BIAB on this forum (possibly in one of those fanboy threads mentioned).

I got really excited about after studying the process and wanted to share what I 'discovered' with any homebrewer who would listen - including the folks at the two LHBS nearby. Their response ranged from complete ignorance of the method to dismissing it & pointing out numerous 'shortcomings' of the process (that through my research seamed to contradict).

Even Brad Smith (of Brewsmith fame) seems to be a 'fanboy,' evidenced by his excellent BIAB presentation at this years conference in Seattle.

I like to try different methods, (I think this homebrewing thing is a blast!) and may pick up a cooler of some sort to convert, but is it as simple as adding a braided hose & valve? To brew with the cooler method don't you need three pcs of equipment (boil kettle, cooler and a second kettle for spare water?) or can you do it as simply as adding the cooler?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #39
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i went BIAB only due to economical issues.
i had priced traditional 3 vessel systems and no matter how I cut corners it wouldn't work for me $ wise.
i think all brewers should work together to help each other in the art & hobby regardless of what method folks embrace.
like when I ride my motorcycle ...i wave at everyone on two motored wheels,
it's about riding not what you ride........
let the barley do the talking, git yer brew on!!!

GD51

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #40
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I've noticed the same. I hate to make this analogy, but it reminds me a lot of the DOS boys back in the late 80's early 90's. They took great pride in being able to make their systems do what they wanted, and definitely carried an attitude of elitism and snobbery, which was ironic because their computers all sucked. I'm not saying your systems suck. I mean having a motorized pulley system bolted to the garage ceiling is a pretty serious investment. But it definitely doesn't give license for any kind of attitude, especially when I'm making beer at 80% efficiency with one 10 gallon kettle and a water cooler.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply