Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's with the BIAB fan boys?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 37

One thing I have noticed is BIAB posts denigrating the traditional method as useless expense. I am an extract/pm brewer as of now so I don't have any confirmation bias on this topic. I personally don't see the logic behind either sides critiques of the other. To me it is as illogical as saying all grain is superior to extract. Anyone can make great beer if they have proper techniques.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Do you guys have some links to these BIAB fanboy denigrations?

People Like This 
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I think they are just a little over-exited by the BIAB thing. To be honest, I tried it once and it simply wasn't that fantastic, but hey if you like it - go for it.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Do you guys have some links to these BIAB fanboy denigrations?
I already told the OP that when I come upon them in the future I'll post them here, so folks can see. You who BIAB probably don't even notice them or notice when they seem inappropriate. You don't see other types of AG brewers say "buy a cooler." or "build a Zap a Pap" And you rarely see these days on here someone other than a zealot say "go ag" but you do quite often see someone say something like "Biab it." Even if the Op is actually a simple question about an extract batch.

Since I probably read more threads than anyone, I see odd patterns show up all the time. An like I said, this is one I've noticed the last couple years.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the process, but there just seems to be a way that SOME Biabers interject an answer that can appear to others as over-eager.

But I bet now that the OP has pointed it out, you'll notice it more and more...though it may not be something you think is that big a deal, others might.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

amandabab Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

It seems like most AG brewing is moving away from the traditional methods towards more simplified processes -- not just at the homebrew level but even at the pro level. If you want to brew a five gallon batch and just do a single infusion -- or even a step mash -- BIAB is the easiest. It's readily accessible to both indoor and outdoor brewers. It doesn't involve fancy equipment or tools. Just two hands, a sack and a couple kettles. Look at the other newer techniques that favor abandoning more complex/time-consuming processes. No sparge over sparging, single infusions over decoction mashes (for some brews), batch sparging over fly sparging, flavors from specialty grain over process-produces flavors, primary-only over secondary, etc. It's just the evolution of the hobby towards more efficient options.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #26
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm A BIABer. I did it as way to get into all grain brewing.

I don't have a lot of disposable income or time in my life right now (work and kids). The less I have to purchase, and the less I have to clean the better.

I don't have anything negative to say about the traditional 3 vessel method. Some of the systems people have are incredible. For me, at this time, I will continue to use the KISS method of BIAB.

At some point I may convert try a Brutus 2.0 type system, maybe....

Chris

Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Who says you cannot do a high-gravity BIAB? 6 gallon batch of RIS, 26 lbs grain, 12 gal water, 15 gal pot.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 190

@ReverseApacheMaster - you mentioned fancy tools. What's so fancy about a rubbermaid cooler and a length of vinyl hosing? Unless I'm forgetting something I don't see what else requires one to do traditional AG, that's what I'm using. I know you're probably talking about the more complex brew stand setups and such, HERMS, RIMS, etc but that isn't necessary to do AG the traditional way.

A lot of the argument I see against traditional AG is equipment but outside of a cooler with a spigot and some vinyl tubing to drain with I honestly don't know what extra gear all the fuss is about. And I think every household has regular pots lying around to use to heat the strike and sparge water. I use one pot for heating of water.

Rev.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #29
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You guys aren't getting what the OP and I are saying....you're all now defending BIAB or arguing point/counterpoint and turning the OP's observation into something different. You don't need to defend why you BIAB or any other method. We're not talking ABOUT THE METHOD....

We're talking about how some folks present "the method" in other threads.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #30
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I initially thought the opposite of the original post. It seems to me that at first the traditional 3 vessel brewers poo-poo'd the BIABer. Low efficiency, thin mash (= bad), low gravity beers only, can't do 10 gallon BIAB, blah blah blah.... eventually you will move up to a traditional system....

So perhaps the BIABer felt the need to defend their position.

Personally, as long as your making great tasting beer and having fun, I don't care how you got there.

Chris

Closed Thread

Quick Reply