The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's an accurate evaporation rate for the hour long boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #21
neldred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is trub loss generally the same regardless of 1, 2.5, or 5 gallon batches? Will trub amount effect ABV or Gravity, since its actually a solid (or are you precalculating in beersmith to compensate for trub)? Thanks...just getting back into brewing after taking a year break.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #22
RedHouse
Recipes 

I boil off almost 2 gallons in an hour. I figure on almost 8 gallons into kettle, 6 after the boil, 5.5 into fermenter, and 5 into bottling bucket.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #23
cswank
Recipes 

I have an automatic brewery that I've been using for 7 batches now. It is all enclosed in a attempt to retain heat during the mash, and to not get my basement all steamy when I brew (all electric). I have a duct fan that vents out the window. This time I started with 6.5 gallons before the boil, and after 60 minutes I was shocked to find I had lost 3 gallons! My OG was 1.080 and I didn't have a yeast starter ready. I have a bad feeling about this batch.

The difference between this batch and the previous 6 is that I took the lid off of the boiler for the entire boil. Before I would leave it on, but off to the side a bit so about ~30% of the boiler was uncovered. I don't know if the vent fan increases the evaporation rate when I have no cover on the boiler but I'm going back to covering it to avoid disasters such as this (I presume it will be a disaster, but I'll have to wait until I drink it to make sure).

Moral of the story: If you have an enclosed brewery contraption with a duct fan attached, don't boil without a lid :-)

Maybe I'll try again without the lid, but not boil so vigorously and leave the duct fan off.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Why don't you add water to your fermenter to dilute closer to your intended OG?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
cswank
Recipes 

Good god, why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #26
05willys
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswank View Post
Good god, why didn't I think of that? Thanks!
You should leave the lid off to allow dms to evap, but get a less powerfull fan. Imho.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #27
TrogdorTheBrewinator
Recipes 

I have a 15 gallon stainless and my loss is a bit over 2 gal per hour.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswank View Post
I have an automatic brewery that I've been using for 7 batches now. It is all enclosed in a attempt to retain heat during the mash, and to not get my basement all steamy when I brew (all electric). I have a duct fan that vents out the window. This time I started with 6.5 gallons before the boil, and after 60 minutes I was shocked to find I had lost 3 gallons! My OG was 1.080 and I didn't have a yeast starter ready. I have a bad feeling about this batch.

The difference between this batch and the previous 6 is that I took the lid off of the boiler for the entire boil. Before I would leave it on, but off to the side a bit so about ~30% of the boiler was uncovered. I don't know if the vent fan increases the evaporation rate when I have no cover on the boiler but I'm going back to covering it to avoid disasters such as this (I presume it will be a disaster, but I'll have to wait until I drink it to make sure).

Moral of the story: If you have an enclosed brewery contraption with a duct fan attached, don't boil without a lid :-)

Maybe I'll try again without the lid, but not boil so vigorously and leave the duct fan off.
Don't forget that completely covering it traps the Dimethyl Sulfide instead of letting it boil out of the wort...
Old 05-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It's different for everyone and depends on many factors, including kettle diameter, boil strength, altitude, etc.

I lose 0.80 gallons per hour under a vigorous boil. For my partial mash process, I only lose about 0.20 gal to trub. So that makes things easy calculations wise

Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was losing 0.9 gallon/hour in my 7 gallon aluminum turkey fryer. When I switched to a 15 gallon SS kettle, I started losing 1.75 gallon/hr. It just depends on your equipment.

I did a test run with plain water to measure my boil off. Then, I check it every time I brew to dial into an average.

Quick Reply