Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What should I use these hops for?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
timmystank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default What should I use these hops for?

So I have a lb. of US Fuggles and UK Hallertau each. I want to make somewhat of a IPA. These are rather low AA hops, 3.1 Hall. and 5 Fugs. My question is can I make a rather hoppy beer with these by just adding a S**T ton of them and what style should I use? I know the answer is, whatever I want to do but IM looking for some guidance here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 112

yep, a larger quantity of low alpha hops is the same as a small variety of large alpha hops when talking about the bittering addition. Use brewing software to determine IBUs.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would do a continous addition with them. I find this to work better when using massive amounts of low AA hops. Instead of doing two or three large additions, do 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce every ten to fifteen minutes of each hop. It adds the bitterness and gives the hop flavor. Great hop flavor in my experience.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
jasonh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've had a few all fuggles IPA's that were delicious. Also made a MO/Fuggles SMaSH that wasn't bad

Old 11-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was just discussing this with some buddies yesterday. I think there was a small fear that a ****-ton of low alpha hops would impart a vegetable taste to the beer, but I don't know for sure. Try it and report back here!

The opposite end of this spectrum would be trying to make Hefe's with super high alpha hops. You add like 6 pellets of Warrior to get 10-12 IBU.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 11-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

If by hoppy, you mean Left Coast IPA citrus, no you can't. There is a persistent confusion between bittering and hoppy flavor/aroma on the board. Low AA hops can be used to achieve high bittering levels without any problem. Neither of these hops will give you an intense hop nose. An all Fuggle IPA will work just fine, but the final product will be a Fuggle IPA.

If you want to nail down the difference between bitter and hoppy, track down a commercial Extra Special Bitter, preferable not an American one. That style is bitter without being hoppy.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 11-21-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply