Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What should I do with my Simcoe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default What should I do with my Simcoe?

I've never brewed with Simcoe as it's always so hard to get. I managed to get 5 oz but have no idea what I should make. I'm thinking a DIPA perhaps.
Anyone have any favs they want to share?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

I'd do IPA or IIPA. I think it's a great hop for late flavor or aroma.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
kramerica
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send it to me!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This recipe was a huge hit at the last monthly meeting of my homebrew club. I brought it thinking it wouldn't do that well since it was extract-based but I got about a dozen compliments and some recipe requests. The Simcoe is definitely present without being overbearing and it's very drinkable. It's also more geared to the traditional American IPA then a double but the hop schedule is 100% solid if you want to scale it up for a double or convert it to all-grain. Fresh it is wonderfully hoppy yet balanced. After a few months of aging the bitterness definitely gets more in-line with the commercial Ranger IPA.

2.25oz of Simcoe per batch, but you'll need Cascade and Chinook also. If you brew it, please update the recipe thread -- it'll help me develop the recipe further.

Cheers!
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
I've never brewed with Simcoe as it's always so hard to get. I managed to get 5 oz but have no idea what I should make. I'm thinking a DIPA perhaps.
Anyone have any favs they want to share?
This is one of the things that may be reciprocating the supposed shortage of Simcoe. It's like the shortage leads to higher demand, as people who don't even need/want simcoe buy it to hoard it. Just annoying to me.

Use the simcoe in some sort of IPA. Use it for flavor, aroma, or dry hopping. Don't waste it as a bittering hop.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
This recipe was a huge hit at the last monthly meeting of my homebrew club. I brought it thinking it wouldn't do that well since it was extract-based but I got about a dozen compliments and some recipe requests. The Simcoe is definitely present without being overbearing and it's very drinkable. It's also more geared to the traditional American IPA then a double but the hop schedule is 100% solid if you want to scale it up for a double or convert it to all-grain. Fresh it is wonderfully hoppy yet balanced. After a few months of aging the bitterness definitely gets more in-line with the commercial Ranger IPA.

2.25oz of Simcoe per batch, but you'll need Cascade and Chinook also. If you brew it, please update the recipe thread -- it'll help me develop the recipe further.

Cheers!
Thanks for the link. I might give it a try and had a similar suggestion from my LHBS guru. Though, the last time I made a DIPA with cane sugar, it wasn't the best IMHO. 21% seems like alot to me though I've not made too many DIPA.
I do like the balance of the Simcoe and Cascades.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you don't want a high gravity brew, I'd suggest the CYBI clone of Uinta Wyld Pale Ale. It is a session strength (5%) beer. Delicious and features Simcoe.

Cheers

Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 848 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I had great success with making a Bell's two-hearted clone with all simcoe instead of all centennial. Can't wait for simcoe to become available so I can make it again.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make sure you dry hop with it, whatever you do. 2oz I would say. I'm dry hopping with 2oz right now and it smells great. Also had 2oz in the boil with some Centennial. Can't wait to drink it.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Simcoe is awesome. Can't go wrong with an American IPA or Pale with some simcoe in it. I hear some people don't like it but I think its a really great hop and only regret that I didn't discover it sooner.

Quick Reply