The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What is Partial Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #31
brewitnow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

higher temps (70-73) will in theory give more esters (fruity) notes. If you like styles that have that (Pyramid, for example) then go that route. Otherwise, stick to 65-68. That's my direct experience on Hefes, which I love. I'd love to hear others on this who know way more than me.

"I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Primary: empty like Bush's head.
Secondary: also empty
Conditioning: Eurotrash ale
Drinking: Simi Cider; Home Rule Hefe
Coming Attractions: DC High Property Tax Bitter; Old Throbbinghead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #32
Wrey
Recipes 

I found a thread with hefe temps, too lazy to link, le cry

Primary- Witch's Brew Hefe
Primary-le cry, tis empty
Conditioning
Drinking Scotch Ale, Continental Pilsner, Edworts Apfelwein

Total Brews-4

Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #33
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I made two hefes, both of which fermented in the 65-68 range with WLP300 yeast. Neither of them had very much hefe character, which was disappointing. My third was fermented at around 69-72 and had plenty of hefe character, especially banana. I also changed my recipe along the way though, so take my experiences with a grain of salt.

By the way, go look at homebrewer_99's recipe and advice, I consider him a hefe guru and he was largely responsible for my third hefe turning out as good as it did

Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #34
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark
I recommend the FlyGuy conversion ... PM will take a bit longer, and it is a bit cheaper, but the results are most clearly worth it..

I think of it like training wheels for AG
Definitely. It is worth the cost of the cooler and the few parts to convert it because it is way easier to work with than trying to control the temp with the stove and strain out the wort without getting any husk in there. Trust me that's just a hassle! The FlyGuy MLT is awesome for partial mashing and IMO the best solution for people who brew in a limited space such as their kitchen.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #35
Wrey
Recipes 

Again this isn't really on topic for the thread but darn it... I started it so I can hijack it.

So I brewed a Hefe on 8/15/07 (6 days ago now) and if you put your nose near the airlock it smells pretty darn bad.

The last couple of batchs after a day or two they smelled like beer. There is still airlock activity and krusen (sp?) on there.

Do you think I have an infection. I could also post a pic when I get home.

Primary- Witch's Brew Hefe
Primary-le cry, tis empty
Conditioning
Drinking Scotch Ale, Continental Pilsner, Edworts Apfelwein

Total Brews-4

Old 08-22-2007, 02:36 AM   #36
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's hard to judge by smell alone, some beers just smell yucky when fermenting. A hefe can have some funky smells but if it looks like beer and tastes like beer you're good to go. Might grab a sample and give it a taste. If it has an infection it'll probably taste sour.

Quick Reply