Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What is Partial Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrey
Alright, just brewed the Hefe,

The recipe called for 6.5 pounds of LME. I changed it to 7 pounds DME since all the last brews have been a little weak on flavor and ABV.

After brewing we took a SG reading and got 1.032 (oh noes)

But we aerated the crap out of the wort. Will that affect the reading?
Unless you ended up with way more than 5 gallons, or managed to forget to add about half of that extract, there's no way your OG could be that low.

7 lb of DME in 5 gallons should give you an OG of 1.061 or so. I would ask if you perhaps made the common mistake of adding top-off water and taking a SG reading before properly stirring/mixing, but you say you aerated it (presumably by shaking?) before taking the reading?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Wrey
Recipes 

Actually how we aerated it was by filling up to the 5 gallon mark using the hose extension on the sink. This sprayed a butt load of bubbles into the carboy, we had to wait 20 minutes for all the bubbles to settle before we could even take a reading.

Primary- Witch's Brew Hefe
Primary-le cry, tis empty
Conditioning
Drinking Scotch Ale, Continental Pilsner, Edworts Apfelwein

Total Brews-4

Old 08-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #23
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrey
Actually how we aerated it was by filling up to the 5 gallon mark using the hose extension on the sink. This sprayed a butt load of bubbles into the carboy, we had to wait 20 minutes for all the bubbles to settle before we could even take a reading.
Well, although I would expect this to have mixed it moderately well, it's still quite possible that this resulted in a layer of mostly water near the surface, resulting in a low OG reading. You should always stir it really well, and/or put the lid on and shake it for a bit, before trying to take an OG reading.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandude
Well, although I would expect this to have mixed it moderately well, it's still quite possible that this resulted in a layer of mostly water near the surface, resulting in a low OG reading. You should always stir it really well, and/or put the lid on and shake it for a bit, before trying to take an OG reading.
That's why I pretty much quit taking O.G. readings on my extract brews. I got such a variance that it didn't make any sense. I'm sure it was because the wort wasn't thoroughly mixed. An O.G. on an extract brew is really not necessary and usually leads to worrying.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #25
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
That's why I pretty much quit taking O.G. readings on my extract brews. I got such a variance that it didn't make any sense. I'm sure it was because the wort wasn't thoroughly mixed. An O.G. on an extract brew is really not necessary and usually leads to worrying.
Agreed. I've taken OG readings on less than half of my extract brews, especially after the first few... The only time I would really want to take an OG reading on an extract brew would be if I made last-minute changes to the recipe without measuring (maybe realized too late that my bag of DME had less in it than I thought, or maybe just threw some extra in 'just for good measure' without weighing it), but if starting from a recipe and following it pretty well, there's not much point.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #26
Wrey
Recipes 

I did kinda change the recipe. I was making "the witch's brew" which calls for

4 oz. German Munich Malt
6.5# wheat malt syrup
1 oz German Hallertau (60 minutes)

I changed it to

4 oz German Munich Malt (I didn't have a scale so I put in 1/4 of a 1 pound bag)
7# Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1 oz Hallertau (60) minutes
1 oz Halleratu (10) minutes

Hopefully it turns out alright.

Conditioning

Total Brews-4

Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #27
pahiker6
Recipes 

Default False Bottom vs. Grain Bag

I've seen some references to this BYO article:
http://byo.com/feature/1536.html

In it he just uses a grain bag, and no false bottom. What is the consensus on this process? Is the false bottom a better method? Or is this pretty much left to personal preference?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #28
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well as long as you know how much DME you put in with some accuracy, you can just stick your recipe in some brewing software and get an accurate enough OG. Beersmith has a free trial, beertools.com has a free online one, and I'm sure there's others. I'd do it for you in beersmith if I was at home...

Old 08-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #29
Wrey
Recipes 

So I got a new question now, (thanks Even BTW for being responsive)

I take a look at my carboy (this is the first time we have used a glass carboy as a primary) and it is clear that the yeast hasn't really started yet (no bubbling or anything) but there is still a 1/2 inch thick layer of stuff at the bottom. The only thing that I could think it was is the malt extract that has settled out of the wort.

Conditioning

Total Brews-4

Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #30
Wrey
Recipes 

I guess I have one last question, what temp should I let the hefe ferment at