New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What are the negatives to leaving pumpkin beer on trub to long?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Dillonks1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What are the negatives to leaving pumpkin beer on trub to long?

Hi,

I am brewing a pumpkin ale recipe, and I was going to transfer to a secondary and adding a hit of allspice after 7 days for clearing.

Unfortunately my work decided to send me to Virginia on the 6th day, and I wont return and be able to transfer it until day 14. I wanted to clear and spice the brew for 14 days.

What negative effects if any could effect my pumpkin ale? Should I still leave in secondary for 14 days to clear or switch to 7 days?

I don't see any but is there something I am not considering. I used 3/4 tbsp of cinnamon, and 1/4th tbsp of allspice in 7.5 gallons, and 6 cans of pumpkin.

Confusing post I know.

Thanks in advance.

Citadel c/o 11'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I'd just let it sit in your primary a little longer. It could probably use a diacetyl rest anyway, so it won't hurt the beer. Most of my beers spend a MINIMUM of two weeks in the primary, if not three. Just let it sit, and then when you get back, hit it with the spices you want in advance of bottling and then bottle/keg it.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
jakesz28
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say 7 days in the primary is to short. Some of my beers have been in the primary longer then a month.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
Dillonks1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It would be 7 in primary, the rack off the massive amount of pumpkin trub and 14 more days in a secondary.

But, since I am away it will now be 15 days in primary, 14 days of clearing in secondary

Citadel c/o 11'

Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2671 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3467

You'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

louie0202 Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What do you mean pumpkin trub? Did you just mash the pumpkin? Leaving a beer on the trub/yeast for 14 days is not a big deal, like others just stated I leave some beers on the trub for over a month.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Dillonks1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I understand. I am not worried about the length it is sitting on the trub. I was more concerned about the clarity

Thanks. I think I have it all worked out now

Citadel c/o 11'

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Well, you'll still need to use a secondary at some point. But the longer you leave it in primary, the less will get carried over into secondary. But having tried to do an all primary pumpkin beer, I know that you'll still need to rack at least once more. If someone added their pumplkin to secondary, I still would recommend a further racking into a tertiary for clearing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 995 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Revvy, I used pumpkin in my mash, not the boil or primary. Would you still suggest a secondary? I have one, I just never use it.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
Revvy, I used pumpkin in my mash, not the boil or primary. Would you still suggest a secondary? I have one, I just never use it.
I don't know....does it look like you need one? If there's a larger amount of trub than normal or if it's cloudy, then yes.

Cold crashing, either way if you can do it might help as well.

Quick Reply