The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What are the negative effects(if any) from a mash pH in the 6.xx range?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default What are the negative effects(if any) from a mash pH in the 6.xx range?

I did a quick check of my mash pH of an American Pale Ale and the mash pH, after I added salts, was at least 6.2 using test strips after about 15 min of mashing.

After everything was in the boil kettle and I added the salts to the unfermented wort the pH was fine prior to boil.

Why was my pH so high? Are there negative effects to a high pH? If I do anything to adjust the mash pH will it have any effect on the wort pH in the boil kettle? How do I adjust it, add acidic malts?

Does it matter, as long as the final product tastes good?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Benthic
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

According to Palmer, mash pH above 6.0 leads to tannin extraction.

Brian

Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The beer flavor will not be as bright due to the high mash pH, the extraction efficiency is reduced, the potential for tannin extraction was increased.

You can learn more about brewing water and how to adjust it by downloading and using Bru'n Water. You can download it at the link in my signature line below.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
You can learn more about brewing water and how to adjust it by downloading and using Bru'n Water. You can download it at the link in my signature line below.
The cells are protected and I can't enter information

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

First obvious question: what was the temperature of the wort when you checked the pH?

www.chadwrites.com

Old 03-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
First obvious question: what was the temperature of the wort when you checked the pH?
Room Temp

But even at mash temp how much more would it add to the pH

Quick Reply