Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What if mash temp is to high?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default What if mash temp is to high?

I brewed a batch this past weekend.

I calculated the strike temp in beersmith and for some reason I ended up higher than I expected at about 162 after closing the cooler lid and waiting about five minutes.

So I opened the cooler lid and stirred my mash for a few minutes (can't remember exactly how long) until my temp dropped to the desired temp 152. Then started my 60 minute timer.

Is there any downside to erring slightly on the high side and letting it drop down to the desired temp? It seems easier than trying to adjust the mash temp up if you are too low.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sounds like you did fine. Since grain is at room temperature it's going to bring down the temperature of the water & mash tun. Stirring for a few minutes is what you are supposed to do.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Orangevango
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A higher mash temp will result in a less fermentable wort, thicker mouthfeel, and higher OG

And no, as long as you don't get it hot enough to denature enzymes (175 or so for several minutes) there is no harm in overshooting a bit and then lowering it.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
carp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
A higher mash temp will result in a less fermentable wort, thicker mouthfeel, and higher OG

And no, as long as you don't get it hot enough to denature enzymes (175 or so for several minutes) there is no harm in overshooting a bit and then lowering it.
I don't see why the OG would be higher. However the FG would be higher, due to lower attenuation of the less fermentable wort.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I see no problem in starting on the high end (by a few degrees) and then dropping the temp to your target. A sweet technique to dropping temp quickly is dropping in a couple of ice cubes into the mash. (Note: start with 1 or 2 ice cubes per degree you want to drop)

Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FG is what I meant... sorry.

Quick Reply