Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > This is what a hot keggle will do to you...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
waldzinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default This is what a hot keggle will do to you...

So, I brew with one 70K BTU propane burner with a keggle HLT and BK, and a 10 gallon cooler MT. As I lifted my HLT off the burner with about 3 gallons of 185ish water in it (just sparged and since my sight glass doesn't read till 3ish gallons) and moved it down to the bottom of my driveway for drainage into storm drain, this happened to my leg:

imag0226.jpg

Ouch!! The very bottom of the keg, which was in constant contact with hot ass propane, bit my leg. The skin continues to look like onion paper.

On the upside, I brewed a fatty bombatty IPA with Sorachi Ace. I pitched a nice 2L starter of West Coast Ale yeast and it looks like this and smells amazing (note blowoff tube --- it was overtaking my airlock), I'll have to post the recipe after I taste it and see what it's got going for it:

imag0222.jpg

Note the temp probe for my temp controller plumbers putty-ed onto the carboy, and my summer "thermal control system (aka, fan)".

imag0223.jpg

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 341 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 158

The beer looks awesome and HUGE krausen! I bet it smells a delight also

The leg: not so awesome

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I bet it smells a delight also
It does. It's like sticking your head in a bag of freshly cut oranges and lemons. You can also notice a little bit of dill-like aroma, too. I bittered with Warrior, and then used Willamette, Citra, and a big finish of Sorachi. Also a single Chinook addition for some earthy backbone. I plan to dry hop with Citra, too.

At 1.070, I plan on getting about 60ish IBUs.

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Quick Reply