Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What Hop filtration device do you use for boil kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Salukibrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What Hop filtration device do you use for boil kettle?

Hey homebrewtalk friends. I just recently bought a new Blichman 15 gallon pot to begin brewing delicious 10 gallon batches. We decided to use a somewhat low end metal mesh to place over the drain spout. Unfortunatly our second batch we had issues with hop clogging and blockage issues and ended up haing to pull out the immursion chiller to cool down the last 5 gallons. We obviously realized it was our hop blocker issue. I was told to get a small amount of heavy gage fine (like window screen) stainless steal screen. Then bend into pocket to slide over thhhe spout. When looking around at local hardware stores there was none to be found. Short of ordering a whole role of the stuff from the internet or a high end "hop blocker" device does anyone have suggestions for who I could ask or other remedies for blocking boil hops? I would like to brew again this weekend so even a temporary fix such as using hop bags would work in mean time.

If I did put my boil hops in hop bag would it affect the quality of hop oil dispersal in a a 10 gallon batch? It just seams that non contained hops have such better distrabution and effect...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here is what I use

image-300360660.jpg  

Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A fine mesh hop bag. I just dangle it by clipping the tie string to the kettle handle with a caribeener. Easy to pull out for adding hops throughout the boil.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 45

...nothing?

I've always gone the "stop siphoning/close spigot once it starts getting chunky" route; three or four weeks in primary and a couple in secondary later, my beers are clear and non-grassy-tasting, and this is with pellet hops.

That being said, if you're worried about it, eric's solution looks pretty good; he's killing two birds with one stone, catching the chunks and aerating the wort as it dribbles through.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
McGlothan
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just built a hop spider before my last brew. It cost me 12 dollars and worked very well. I was very pleased with the way it worked. Search it on here and you will find plenty of DIY instruction!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGlothan View Post
I just built a hop spider before my last brew. It cost me 12 dollars and worked very well. I was very pleased with the way it worked. Search it on here and you will find plenty of DIY instruction!
Yep, hop spider with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag is what I use for my 10 gallon batches that are hop bombs. For the more lightly hopped beers I just throw them in and let every thing go into the fermenter without straining.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
bigdongsr94
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Stainless coffee canister with a reusable coffee filter insert inside(bed bath and beyond). Fits perfectly. Put a 1/4"npt to 3/8" pushloc to connect quickly to my brew pot valve and drain to the topside of filter. Drain below the filter. I only used it once or twice as it clogs with pellet hops but it is a very cool piece. I may use it also with my hop blocker and essentially filter my beer. Also Home Depot sells stainless screen already in a sleeve. I did not buy it but think it was around 1.5" dia. It would be great to slip over a copper coil in the bottom of your brew pot. Drill the copper with many small holes and connect to you drain valve.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
Chamuco
Beer Bender
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer
A fine mesh hop bag. I just dangle it by clipping the tie string to the kettle handle with a caribeener. Easy to pull out for adding hops throughout the boil.
+1 I use a big nylon grain bag clipped to the kettle with a large binder clip (of all things).

Beer, beer, good for the heart.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #9
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post

Pretty much this, except I hang mine from my mash paddle, which I stick over the pot for that purpose.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
m1k3
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 58

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/copp...-spider-378262

tap 1 - Summer Stout 6.6%
tap 2 - American Pale Ale 5.1% WLP001
tap 3 - American Pale Ale 5.1% Nottingham