Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What happened to my FG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
kenpotf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What happened to my FG?

I started at 1.054 in a porter that I did with AG. The fermentation took about 3 days and stopped a couple of days ago. My FG was supposed to be at 1.010, but I'm getting readings at 1.021 which is about 4.0% alcohol. Since my target gravity wasn't hit, should I still siphon to secondary on top of cherries (what I was going to do initially), or should I try to do something to get this gravity to come down a bit more?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4363 Times on 3172 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpotf View Post
I started at 1.054 in a porter that I did with AG. The fermentation took about 3 days and stopped a couple of days ago. My FG was supposed to be at 1.010, but I'm getting readings at 1.021 which is about 4.0% alcohol. Since my target gravity wasn't hit, should I still siphon to secondary on top of cherries (what I was going to do initially), or should I try to do something to get this gravity to come down a bit more?
First, FG depends on many different things- yeast strain, mash ingredients, mash temperature, etc, so you may have not really missed your FG by much. I don't think I've ever had a porter finish at 1.010!

If you're planning on racking onto cherries, you can still do that. I'd wait until the beer has been about 10-12 days in the fermenter before racking, though.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
kenpotf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So this is normal for a porter? This is my first one, but I figured and Beersmith figured, that I'd be hitting about 5.5%. I also still have floaties that I've noticed, but it's only been 5 days. I'm used to doing extract brews and don't have the floaties that I've been seeing in this one. Does it clear up as well as an extract will?

As a side note, I used Sterling English Ale yeast which was a new "had to have it" yeast that AHB got in. I figured I'd try it instead of Safale for something different. Could it be an attentuation problem, and should I throw some more yeast on it in case the other yeast didn't populate enough?

Thanks Yooper!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4363 Times on 3172 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpotf View Post
So this is normal for a porter? This is my first one, but I figured and Beersmith figured, that I'd be hitting about 5.5%. I also still have floaties that I've noticed, but it's only been 5 days. I'm used to doing extract brews and don't have the floaties that I've been seeing in this one. Does it clear up as well as an extract will?

As a side note, I used Sterling English Ale yeast which was a new "had to have it" yeast that AHB got in. I figured I'd try it instead of Safale for something different. Could it be an attentuation problem, and should I throw some more yeast on it in case the other yeast didn't populate enough?

Thanks Yooper!
I love Beersmith, but it's totally useless at figuring projected FG. It just gives a % of the OG as a projected FG. Try it and see what I mean- 100% corn sugar should ferment out to 1.000 (or even lower). but in Beersmith it doesn't discern between corn sugar (100% fermentable) and crystal malt (not very fermentable at all) in figuring FG. Throw into that some other ingredients, different mash temps, etc, and I've found that Beersmith is useless for guestimating FG.

Your yeast is fine. Even if it's a lower attenuating yeast, it'll be able to ferment the sugars in the cherries. I have no ideas why you still have floaties, but it could just be young beer. I'd wait until a full two weeks was up, and then rack it onto the cherries.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I love Beersmith, but it's totally useless at figuring projected FG. It just gives a % of the OG as a projected FG. Try it and see what I mean- 100% corn sugar should ferment out to 1.000 (or even lower). but in Beersmith it doesn't discern between corn sugar (100% fermentable) and crystal malt (not very fermentable at all) in figuring FG. Throw into that some other ingredients, different mash temps, etc, and I've found that Beersmith is useless for guestimating FG.
i've plugged in accurate numbers for my grain into beersmith, and i'm usually very close to the mark. edit them so they are correct, and from then on it works

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
kenpotf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's going to really suck if this beer doesn't clear up. :-(

Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Why not add the cherries to the primary...if the beer doesn't clear after the cherries are done cold crash it in the fridge. All of those floaties will drop. I had a beer with floating yeast after 3 weeks. Cold crashing of 2 days cleared out right up.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
kenpotf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'll be bottling this one though. Will cold crashing keep me from doing that or are you saying after I bottle then cold crash?

Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bottle too. There will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb. Just cold crash until the chunks fall out

Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You are talking about a very fast fermentation.

I never even check the gravity for two weeks, no matter what the bubbler tells me.

+1 on cherries in the primary. Saves on beer loss and cleaning.

Quick Reply