Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What happened to my FG?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
kenpotf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mckinney, tx
Posts: 488
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What happened to my FG?

I started at 1.054 in a porter that I did with AG. The fermentation took about 3 days and stopped a couple of days ago. My FG was supposed to be at 1.010, but I'm getting readings at 1.021 which is about 4.0% alcohol. Since my target gravity wasn't hit, should I still siphon to secondary on top of cherries (what I was going to do initially), or should I try to do something to get this gravity to come down a bit more?

__________________
kenpotf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,700
Liked 4363 Times on 3172 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpotf View Post
I started at 1.054 in a porter that I did with AG. The fermentation took about 3 days and stopped a couple of days ago. My FG was supposed to be at 1.010, but I'm getting readings at 1.021 which is about 4.0% alcohol. Since my target gravity wasn't hit, should I still siphon to secondary on top of cherries (what I was going to do initially), or should I try to do something to get this gravity to come down a bit more?
First, FG depends on many different things- yeast strain, mash ingredients, mash temperature, etc, so you may have not really missed your FG by much. I don't think I've ever had a porter finish at 1.010!

If you're planning on racking onto cherries, you can still do that. I'd wait until the beer has been about 10-12 days in the fermenter before racking, though.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
kenpotf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mckinney, tx
Posts: 488
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

So this is normal for a porter? This is my first one, but I figured and Beersmith figured, that I'd be hitting about 5.5%. I also still have floaties that I've noticed, but it's only been 5 days. I'm used to doing extract brews and don't have the floaties that I've been seeing in this one. Does it clear up as well as an extract will?

As a side note, I used Sterling English Ale yeast which was a new "had to have it" yeast that AHB got in. I figured I'd try it instead of Safale for something different. Could it be an attentuation problem, and should I throw some more yeast on it in case the other yeast didn't populate enough?

Thanks Yooper!

__________________
kenpotf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,700
Liked 4363 Times on 3172 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpotf View Post
So this is normal for a porter? This is my first one, but I figured and Beersmith figured, that I'd be hitting about 5.5%. I also still have floaties that I've noticed, but it's only been 5 days. I'm used to doing extract brews and don't have the floaties that I've been seeing in this one. Does it clear up as well as an extract will?

As a side note, I used Sterling English Ale yeast which was a new "had to have it" yeast that AHB got in. I figured I'd try it instead of Safale for something different. Could it be an attentuation problem, and should I throw some more yeast on it in case the other yeast didn't populate enough?

Thanks Yooper!
I love Beersmith, but it's totally useless at figuring projected FG. It just gives a % of the OG as a projected FG. Try it and see what I mean- 100% corn sugar should ferment out to 1.000 (or even lower). but in Beersmith it doesn't discern between corn sugar (100% fermentable) and crystal malt (not very fermentable at all) in figuring FG. Throw into that some other ingredients, different mash temps, etc, and I've found that Beersmith is useless for guestimating FG.

Your yeast is fine. Even if it's a lower attenuating yeast, it'll be able to ferment the sugars in the cherries. I have no ideas why you still have floaties, but it could just be young beer. I'd wait until a full two weeks was up, and then rack it onto the cherries.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
lumpher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 4,515
Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I love Beersmith, but it's totally useless at figuring projected FG. It just gives a % of the OG as a projected FG. Try it and see what I mean- 100% corn sugar should ferment out to 1.000 (or even lower). but in Beersmith it doesn't discern between corn sugar (100% fermentable) and crystal malt (not very fermentable at all) in figuring FG. Throw into that some other ingredients, different mash temps, etc, and I've found that Beersmith is useless for guestimating FG.
i've plugged in accurate numbers for my grain into beersmith, and i'm usually very close to the mark. edit them so they are correct, and from then on it works
__________________

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

lumpher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
kenpotf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mckinney, tx
Posts: 488
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

It's going to really suck if this beer doesn't clear up. :-(

__________________
kenpotf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
bribo179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, Illinois
Posts: 236
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Why not add the cherries to the primary...if the beer doesn't clear after the cherries are done cold crash it in the fridge. All of those floaties will drop. I had a beer with floating yeast after 3 weeks. Cold crashing of 2 days cleared out right up.

__________________
http://ppbco.blogspot.com/
bribo179 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
kenpotf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mckinney, tx
Posts: 488
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'll be bottling this one though. Will cold crashing keep me from doing that or are you saying after I bottle then cold crash?

__________________
kenpotf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
bribo179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, Illinois
Posts: 236
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I bottle too. There will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb. Just cold crash until the chunks fall out

__________________
http://ppbco.blogspot.com/
bribo179 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Northcalais40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of hardwick
Posts: 425
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

You are talking about a very fast fermentation.

I never even check the gravity for two weeks, no matter what the bubbler tells me.

+1 on cherries in the primary. Saves on beer loss and cleaning.

__________________
Northcalais40 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened? AussieBrewerInColorado All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 03-05-2011 11:31 PM
What Happened? slayer84 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 04-16-2010 01:14 PM
WTF happened?!?!?! Tundrabrewing All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 03-26-2010 02:49 PM
Oh man, what happened?! Shinglejohn All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 02-08-2009 02:35 AM
What Happened? fa1321tx All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 08-14-2007 07:06 PM