Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What are the facts on Mycotoxins?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
PupThePup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
If you are malting your own grain, than this could be an issue.
Agreed, it is most definately an issue.

Quote:
Picking out any reddish grains is advisable.
In 25lb sack of grain, I sometimes pick out as much as a 1/4 - 1/3 cup full of red grains. It varies some bags contain less some contain more.

Quote:
I'm not sure what else they do commercially, but I have heard that they actually will innoculate the grain with lactobacillus as this bacteria has been shown to suppress the growth of other microbes.
Yes, I have thought of adding lactobacillus to the steeping water. Not sure if that would work though.

Quote:
As the link you provided says, while the roasting will kill the fungus, if there is substantial fungal growth during the malting process, you can get extra mycotoxins produced which could make it into the final product
Precisely. I believe White Labs will do an analysis on your beer (not cheap). Might be worth spending the money on beers made with my own malt just out of curiosity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply