What does your LHBS charge for bulk grain sacks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious to see what everyone's LHBS is charging. I am about to get into all grain and was pleasantly surprised when I found out that 2-row was $45 for a 50# sack at my LHBS (Falls Church, VA). Checked out some other stores and was seeing prices close to $60. What do you all pay for base malt sacks?

Note: not interested in shipped costs or group buy prices. Brick and mortar only

Great Western 2 Row is $30.75 in PDX @ Brewbrothers, recently lowered the prices.

I will add that I called a store in Newark, DE where my friend goes to school, seeing if maybe I could save by having him transport it to me. They were 59.99 for Rahr 2-row... maybe I need to move to oregon!

$35 from Northern Brewer. But I only get it when I have other business in Milwaukee or a friend is coming from there. Here I dont even want to know what they charge.

$27 or so for 2 row, $35 for anything else.

I'm only about 30 minutes from MidCountry Malt though. The real LHBS around me are charging 45 for Canadian 2 Row, and 65 -70 for anything else.

The LHBS in town quoted me $100 for a 50lb sack of grain(not a stocked item either), so i made friends with a micro brewery 45 mins from here. $30 for organic Gambrius 2-row.

$27 or so for 2 row, $35 for anything else.

I'm only about 30 minutes from MidCountry Malt though. The real LHBS around me are charging 45 for Canadian 2 Row, and 65 -70 for anything else.

was the $27 from midcountry? The closest lhbs is $65 for 2-row, a little drive would be well worth a $38 difference.

Thingsbeer (at Michigan Brewing Co. in Webberville, MI) sells 50# Briess Pilsen for $35 (they just lowered their prices on Briess malts). I think the pale malt is about the same.

It's about $40 at the stores around me. Although one place said they never heard of such a thing, and when I pressed them into looking again, they said they could do it for $60. I went to the brewery and the owner sold me a bag for $40.

That was for 2-row. Pilsner was about the same. Marris Otter was closer to $60 I think.

55# sack of 2 row for 63$. Going to try and see if I can strike up anything from a local brew pub, pretty much only local brew pub.

Briess US 2-row - $54.95
Munton UK Pale (2-row) - $65.95
Munton UK Maris Otter - $82.95
Weyermann GR Pils - $56.95
Weyermann GR Munich - $56.95
Dingemans Belg Pale (2-row) - $84.95
Dingemans Belg Pils - $84.95

Briess 2-row is $49.50 for a 50# sack here. The LHBS offers a 10% discount to members of the local brew club, which basically covers the tax. I could get it a little cheaper from a local brewpub, but then I'd have to buy a grain mill and find a place to put it.

$90 for 2-Row at my "local" HBS. an hour away but closest one. It's the saem as if you were to buy 55 lb one pound at a time :eek:

I did find a hardware store 45 minutes away with a small homebrew section that will order me full sacks. 2 row would be $45. Getting mill this summer.

To expand on cee3's post:

briess 50#:
pale = 35
2row = 30
6row = 30
pils = 35

From the sounds of it, looks to be on the cheap end :rockin:

Pretty good prices. I'm going to have to make the trip over there some time for a couple of bags......

50# for $25 from local brewery for 2 row
$1/lb for Special Grain

And after seeing the prices above I feel lucky.
Going to pickup 200# in morning for me and friends.

Back