New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What does mash temp have to do with beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
asterix404
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What does mash temp have to do with beer?

Okay, so this is obviously a fairly broad subjected question and from the reading material quite long and lengthy, but what I am looking for basically what temperature does to the mash and what temps I should try to hit for particular styles.

Typically I hit about 150 for my mash and keep it constant to about 149 for about 90min for my typical mash schedule. This is for all styles, all the time. Sometimes I hit 152, but then I cool it down a bit to 150.

I am reading designing great brews, and I see mash ranges from 147-160, does 147 produce less dextrinous beer then say, 150? Does 2 degrees make a ton of difference between say, 150 and 152, or 154 and 156? If I wanted a sweeter beer, I should most likely mash at higher temperatures, is there a temperature which really is just too much and how sweet are we talking? He tells us that Scottish Ales were mashed about 155, so if I mash, say an IPA should I expect that same intense sweetness from the finished beer?

This is one aspect which I have a hard time finding information about beyond the phrases:
"Keep the mash at 150" (This I believe was the recommendation from Palmer) and "The higher the mash temp, the more dextrinous the wort will be".

Thank you all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

basically there are two enzymes in the grain that chop the big starches down to smaller sugars, the one that produces larger [harder to digest] sugars is most active at ~157F and the one that produces smaller sugars is more active at ~149F.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Read this http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14.html

I recommend that you buy the book.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Read this http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14.html

I recommend that you buy the book.
I wholeheartedly agree. If you read and understand basic texts on the subject first you will better understand the topics covered in more specialized books.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
SethMasterFlex
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It doesn't necessarily mean "sweeter" the higher you mash, it means more longer chain dextrins will be present in the final product and thus have more body and mouthfeel. Sure a higher FG may sometimes be sweeter than a lower one, but this may be more dependent on the malts you use and the yeast strain you select as opposed to just the FG.

For example, mashing low with a low-attenuating yeast and mashing high with a high attenuating yeast may yield you the same FG, but the higher mashed one will be heavier and have a fuller mouthfeel.

+1 on the How To Brew

Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I actually do own that book. I have a feeling that I didn't read it when I started brewing because it seemed really complicated or I didn't understand all the terminology. I do remember the part about specific enzymes being most active at specific temperatures, and he actually goes into great detail about this (So does Palmer). I just wasn't expecting a crowding out affect, I will have to reread these parts.

Honestly I didn't quite understand the metaphors, I do know about complex carbohydrate chains and that enzymes basically chew down the chain one by one, but this video is really really good.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

somebody beat me to linking Bobbys video, Its 20 minutes but explains it very well with props to boot.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 06-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yea, that was an excellent video. It was very very dry reading about it. I do remember the alpha and beta amalaise but I think I fell asleep and just... well... his explication is very very good. Sounds like the 150-152 range is about right for almost everything unless I want a very particular affect. Thanks all!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I actually understood the whole discussion. I am impressed with myself.

Quick Reply