Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > what do you think of my water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
the_wickster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what do you think of my water?

I've been doing partial mashes with good success and this summer I plan to move up to all grain.

I have really hard well water so I've been blending half hard from the well and half soft from the water softener. I also us 5.2 PH stabilizer for lighter beers.

all ppm:

Code:
           Ca    Mg    Na   SO4    Cl    HCO3
Hard       112    53    20    10    121    425
Soft         1     0   232    10    105    432
Combined    56    26   126    10    113    428
Any comments or suggestions before using my water like this for all grain?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
the_wickster
Recipes 

TTT - Anything anyone??

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am not a water expert, so I can't assist. Here is my water selection method that has worked fine so far. Does it taste good when you drink it? If so, it will make decent beer with extract or AG.

In my opinion when starting AG, there are too many other things to be concerned with besides water. Once you are confident in you technique and really want to get into the finer detais of brewing, then water analysis may be for you .

If you have concerns about your current water supply, I'd recommend using bottled water for your beers.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Your bicarbonates are through the roof. Even in your softened samples. I don't blending is getting you much except a lot of sodium. You're residual alkalinity is probably pretty high either way. I recommend chapter 15 at www.howtobrew.com to learn about water. If its been working, keep with it! If you want to start tweaking I say read chapter 15. Best of luck!

I'm too lazy (and too busy) to keep up a signature.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My water is not quite as hard as yours, but up there. This wrecks havoc on hop bitterness, making it more harsh and astringent and taking longer to mellow. Good for stouts, not pale beers though. I've taken to setting my water up several days before brewing and then adding pickling lime (1 tsp) to precipitate the Carbonate. I also aerate my water. I let the water settle for at least 8 hrs and then drain off the water through a spigot, leaving the precipitated calcium carbonate behind. This has had a huge impact in the hop flavors of my lagers - very smooth, not harsh. You'll have to watch your pH as adding too much lime will send the pH through the roof.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You water is alot like my water with very high bicarb levels. Instead of pjj2ba's precipitation idea, I use use the mantra, "Dilution is the Solution to Pollution"

Lately I will take 2-3 gallons of our tap, dilute it with 5 gallons of RO water, and add a couple grams of gypsum and Epsom salt to get the Ca, Mg, and SO4 levels back up. I also add 5.2 to the mash, but that is more of a safety net than anything. The last few brews I have done this way have turned out very well, so I am happy with this method for now

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply