Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > what do you think of Danstar Nottingham Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #31
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

How high can it go as in ALC %?

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #32
postman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayman86
Interesting. I was checking my notes from that brew session and didn't notice anything unusual. We began aerating with an air pump set up a few brews before that, so confident it wasn't the aeration. Fermentation temps. were controlled to between about 68-71F. Might give the yeast another try. That's the great thing about this hobby (and this board); lots of information and experiences. Thanks for the reply.
Drayman86,

Good job keeping notes. I really liked your description of "lacking something in between" as that was how I thought of it as well. I even started a thread on why my beer was so smooth, trying to pin down the source of its deliciousness. I used Norther Brewer Bittering hops. Yeast or Hops???? We discussed our taste problem with a former microbrew master brewer who identified my previous conclusions. My notes from that brew are at my brother's house, so I forget the specific yeast. I've never used a pump before so I can't comment there. We did filter the wort for the first time though, which is slow and doesn't produce as much splashing.

This does lead to a solution though. Split the wort into two smaller batches and use different yeasts. It'd make a solid experiment. I could possibly do that, but I don't know how long yeast is good for in the fridge. I've got 2 packs in there since September.

Best Wishes Drayman. If you happen to use Nottingham down the road, restart this thread. Peace.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #33
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

I hit 12% with it once.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #34
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used nottingham and windsor. Both are cheap, and start quick. The nottingham drops out faster & makes a clearer beer - the windsor takes forever to clear. (still waiting on a month-old beer to clear right now with the windsor)

the nottingham is neutral - goes to the background of the taste. I think it's good.

the windsor gives lots of flavor - if you like that kind of thing. I think I could classify the beer as a bit more fruity and sweet - which my DW likes a bit better.

end of the story is that these two yeasts are great - and cheap. Really, I wouldn't use a liquid yeast unless I was doing a very special brew that required it. The dry yeast does not require a starter, and starts fast. I've had both yeasts start in 5 or 6 hours, and be going full blast in 12-16 hours.

the main downside for me, with the windsor, is how long it takes to clear. I end up drinking some of the beer before it's cleared, and there's too much yeast flavor.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #35
Saint Arnould
Recipes 

+1 on the sweet/fruit/banana-ness of the Windsor. Just used it for a stout. It came out well, but definitely has some complex flavors, which I now attribute to the yeast. There is probably also some contribution from the 2 oz vanilla extract I added, too. We will see how this one mellows out......

I am now using my first Nottingham packet in an amber ale. I am hoping for the high attenuation that all have talked about, as I want a pretty clear result.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #36
Brewbeard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nottingham is sort of a love it or hate it type of yeast. I'm more on the negative side. I think it leaves too little in the way of body and I prefer my beer to have more fruity esters. For that reason, I usually go with Windsor. I'm willing to sacrifice attenuation for more body. Even if I want to go with a yeast that is neutral, I prefer Safale-05.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #37
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbeard
Nottingham is sort of a love it or hate it type of yeast. I'm more on the negative side. I think it leaves too little in the way of body and I prefer my beer to have more fruity esters. For that reason, I usually go with Windsor. I'm willing to sacrifice attenuation for more body. Even if I want to go with a yeast that is neutral, I prefer Safale-05.

I guess that depends on whether you are AG or not and can control you unfermentables more.

That said I still like the Fermentis Saf yeasts the best, but I'd use nottingham for a lager style brewed as an ale.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Quick Reply