Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What do you think of buying pre-made mash tuns?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
Jayfro21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What do you think of buying pre-made mash tuns?

I found this link, let me know what you experts think about this system:

http://www.brewd00d.com/

Thanks!

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Looks like a pretty good piece of work and reasonable prices.

If you're not DIY inclined, I'd say you're buying from someone who knows what they're doing.

I'd ask about what type of manifold he installs (copper mainifold, SS braided hose).

[EDIT] Never mind. I scrollle ddown and saw he uses CPVC manifold. I'd be inclined to turn those slits down though to prevent clogging.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It's so VERY VERY easy and inexpensive to build yourself, I can't even imagine buying one. It took me about a 1/2 hour to shop for the parts, and not more than an hour to complete the assembly. Furthermore, I think the end result is nicer, with metal parts instead of PVC.

Furthermore, it's far more satisfying to brew with gear you've made and setup yourself. While we don't all have the capability to make a conical or weld together a brew sculpture, anybody with a pair of pliers and a credit card can make their own MLT!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It was kind of discussed here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42381

Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
ChrisS
I like cold beverages
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default tuns from Brewd00d.

to answer your question he uses cpvc for the tubing and valves.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
Jayfro21
Recipes 

Is cpvc good or bad?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
newguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah I just built my own MLT from Flyguys post.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008

I'm an alright kinda DIY guy when it comes to the pretty general stuff. This was no big deal at all to build and it will save you some $$ from buying a pre-made one.

I say build it, but thats just one guys opinion.

Cheers,

--I Brew Therefore I am...-

In the Works: Common room ESB--(AG) Belgian Wit---(EXT)

Meadery: Grape apple mesquite cyser

On Tap: Common Room E.S.B.-----Belgin Wit

Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy
yeah I just built my own MLT from Flyguys post.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008

I'm an alright kinda DIY guy when it comes to the pretty general stuff. This was no big deal at all to build and it will save you some $$ from buying a pre-made one.
Jason, if you haven't already, give this thread a read and see if it's something you'd be comfortable with. Now I'm definitely a DIY guy, with a fully loaded shop, but I think anybody could build this. Basically, you just assemble it as illustrated. Flyguy even gives the Watts part numbers, so finding them at Home Depot is a snap!

I will say that the gear on the site you mentioned looks well made, and is actually priced rather reasonably. Still, I think a lot of the fun in homebrewing is to "homebrew" some of your own gear as well! Of course you might feel differently, and that's cool too.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Jayfro21
Recipes 

Yeah thanks I want to build it, just sometimes the simpleton in me wants to buy something premade and ready to go...I have seen another simple set up that basically used the same SS braided filter but just jammed a stopped into the hole and used gravity (i.e. held the tubing above the level of the wort) to control the flow. Seemed pretty easy and he said it never leaked, but I think the control of the valve would be nice so long as you could make it not leak. Here's the link in case anyone's interested:

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

Jason

Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
Jayfro21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Jason, if you haven't already, give this thread a read and see if it's something you'd be comfortable with. Now I'm definitely a DIY guy, with a fully loaded shop, but I think anybody could build this. Basically, you just assemble it as illustrated. Flyguy even gives the Watts part numbers, so finding them at Home Depot is a snap!

I will say that the gear on the site you mentioned looks well made, and is actually priced rather reasonably. Still, I think a lot of the fun in homebrewing is to "homebrew" some of your own gear as well! Of course you might feel differently, and that's cool too.
Hey thanks, yeah I read all 20 pages, and it seems very easy, just doing my over extensive research that I seem to always do...I really think I am just using my indecision as a reason not to study for my upcoming exam! Anyways, I will most likely be making one of these soon, and I am going to be asking for a turkey fryer set-up for my present from the in-laws, haha!

Quick Reply