What to do, what to do? Advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergutbrew

Reaction score
I brewed the Stone IPA clone from the BYO article on Sunday Morning 3/29 with an OG of 1.055. Fermentation activity was good within a couple of hours and stayed active through Wednesday. Thursday and Friday no activity, so I decided to rack to secondary for dry hopping, and the gravity reading was hovering around 1.009-1.010??? Is this beer done? Should I bottle in the next few days? 7-10 days of fermentation before bottling just seems too soon? Any ideas or advice?

check the gravity again, in a couple of days if it doesn't change in 3 days bottle it up.

what did the article say the SG should be? 1.009 or 1.010 sounds probably done to me.

that said, I'd leave it in the primary for at least another week to let the yeast clean up after themselves, etc. before even thinking of bottling

If you are talking about the Stone Ruination Clone from the BYO Hop Lovers Guide, the OG is supposed to be 1.075 and the FG is supposed to be 1.010. I am looking at my magazine right now, that is why I am able to answer off the top of my head! So your OG is much lower than it should have been. I would say your beer is done though.

If you're in a hurry you can bottle, but like ericm said, if you leave it in for at least another week, it reduces chances of off flavors etc, that the yeast clean up by themselves...

I did the regular Stone IPA. Yeah the OG was on the low end, but even at the low end still looking like it will yield a respectable Alcohol%. It stills feels weird to bottle so soon, but hey, the hydrometer has spoken. I will probably give a few more days anyway.

THis raises another question? What attributes to low OG reading? what steps do I take in future brew to achieve OG's on the high end of the potential yield?

Go ahead and taste in.
It will be a little "green".
If it has any funky flavors, let it sit a little longer.

Back