Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What to do with starter...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
tireater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What to do with starter...?

I made a 1.040 starter and put it on my stir plate 2 days ago...I think the fermentation is done...
What should I do to use the starter in my first AG batch this afternoon..?....Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got this one!
Brew the beer, and pour the starter into it once the wort is cooled.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but you can either pour the whole thing in or, after the yeast settle, decant most of the supernatant and just pitch the yeast. If it's still sitting on the stir plate, it depends on how long you have before you're going to pitch it whether you're going to have enough time for the majority of yeast to flocculate, in which case pouring it all in makes sense. Some would also argue that it depends on what you're brewing and the size of the starter (i.e. do you want to pitch a 2L unhopped starter into a light beer....whereas for a stout, you certainly wouldn't notice it).

Old 04-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireater View Post
I made a 1.040 starter and put it on my stir plate 2 days ago...I think the fermentation is done...
What should I do to use the starter in my first AG batch this afternoon..?....Thanks
If you are brewing this afternoon, give the starter a good swirl and pour the whole thing into the cooled & aerated wort. The yeast is in suspension and you want to get all of it into your wort.

Other times, as mentioned above, you don't want the potential off flavors of the starter to impact your beer so you allow the starter to completely ferment out (I usually give mine three days or so), chill it for a couple of days so the yeast flocculate and settle to the bottom, and decant the starter wort on brew day, leaving just enough liquid to allow the yeast to pour out of the starter vessel.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
tireater
Recipes 

Thanks for the replys...I will pour this one in directly...and let the next starter settle out...

Quick Reply