Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > what to do about bad beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBMP View Post
So I am having the same problem with a Caramel Cream Ale. It tastes horribly green applish. 1 week in primary this is 2nd week in secondary. 1.062 OG and 1.010 SG. The taste is so vinegry and green apple that I can't stand it. If I read correctly I should let it chill out another week and bottle and condition for at least 3 weeks correct?
Yes, you should ALWAYS finish the process, unless you have a physical infection in your beer...with tendrils hanging downward...

Unless you have been brewing for awhile, you really can't judge the difference between an uncorrectable OFF flavor, or a "Green" beer...

A lot happens in the bottle as my story illustrates.

Read this as well

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362&page=11

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 AM   #12
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The best rule of thumb I've found is to wait as long as it took for the entire (primary, secondary, tertiary...) fermentation to complete.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #13
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You have typical N00bitus...more than likely what you are attributing to high temp is REALLY just green-ness...

Are you tasting it before it has been in a bottle for 3 weeks??????????????????????

If the answer is "yes" then you can't make any judgements about your beer!!!!!

You beer is green...Read this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

If it is after three weeks in the bottle read this...actually read it anyway because you considered dumping a beer;

Never dump a beer:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

Revvy. Sound like your getting a little rialed up by some of the nOObs. lol But I understand why. I have been here for 6 months and some of this is a 2-4 a day discussion. But remember here to help. And the links do.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #14
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

To all new brewers:
I hope that everyones beer turns out ok but if you note any off tastes after long enough conditioning then your next brew will be better now that you know to pay attention to temperature of fermentation and the other golden rule of being sanitary and rinsing well and using Starsan. Keep your hands clean and spray them with sanitizer too. All tubing and anything that touches the beer must be sanitary. I have said this many times in the past and every week we have new posts all stating that their beer tastes funny or there is something growing on top of it. This is an expensive and horrible outcome for first attempt but it can be avoided if you plan ahead and make a reminder list and think before acting. It is not good to fail and some just say it is too hard but keep trying and you will succeed.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 08-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #15
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

f'shizzle, with a 1.062 beer, don't even think about it in 3-4 weeks. General rule of thumb, higher og = longer condition time. hell, first oatmeal stout i made didn't get "good" for about 5 months. your 1.062 will need a while to properly condition and get rid of the green flavor. i suggest waiting 2 more additional months and then trying one every 2 weeks until you think it is good to go.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #16
mresa641
Recipes 

Thanks all for your input. Revvy, yours is certainly one to remember. Ill leave it to condition for a few months to see if it tastes better to my "Noobitus" taste buds.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #17
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
You could bottle it and call it Miller Lite ?
LOL ! Don't forget to add some more water!

On the serious side Time is your friend. I've had several beers I was tempted to toss but with time I was gald I didn't

Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBMP View Post
So I am having the same problem with a Caramel Cream Ale. It tastes horribly green applish. 1 week in primary this is 2nd week in secondary. 1.062 OG and 1.010 SG. The taste is so vinegry and green apple that I can't stand it. If I read correctly I should let it chill out another week and bottle and condition for at least 3 weeks correct?
Green apple. Did you pitch a starter? Aerate properly? At OG 1.062, yeast are stressed. I'm betting you underpitched and/or under-aerated. Also two weeks in the primary may have helped clear it up faster. It will take longer in the secondary since there's less yeast.

It'll take a month or more in the bottles for the yeast to clean up, but they eventually will. Revvy's advice should be your salvation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply