New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > what to do about bad beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
mresa641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what to do about bad beer

Ok, so I left my ale because of an emergency...gone for a week and really didn't want to. When I got back the fermentation temp was at 78 and OMG would be a good response. I thought, oh well and left it alone and thought maybe it will still turn out ok and drinkable. Well, to no surprise, its awful and downright kinda nasty because of the intense fusal alcohol taste. Is there any way under to recover this beer?

Also, I have another batch that had a great ferm temp, a Boddingtons Pub Ale,clone from AHS. The primary was finished for the most part after 5 days(1-2 bubbles a minute). I left it in the secondary for 4 days at 76-77 degrees thinking it wouldn't hurt or cause any off flavors. It wont right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That first beer, the presumed ruined one. Dont touch it..No. NO, step away from the beer. That taste will mellow ALOT in the next few weeks.

Leave your beer in Primary for a minimum of 10 days. I do 10-14 days. Secondary for another 2 weeks if you want it clear. Then bottle.

No it wont hurt to leave it in the secondary.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm also in the camp that says to keep a beer around and see what develops. Granted with lots of fusel alcohol in a beer, depending on your sensitivity, it may never be entirely pleasant after drinking em.

You're secondary temps aren't a concern.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

You have typical N00bitus...more than likely what you are attributing to high temp is REALLY just green-ness...

Are you tasting it before it has been in a bottle for 3 weeks??????????????????????

If the answer is "yes" then you can't make any judgements about your beer!!!!!

You beer is green...Read this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

If it is after three weeks in the bottle read this...actually read it anyway because you considered dumping a beer;

Never dump a beer:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 08-07-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Beer is a lot tougher than you think it is. Give it a couple of months and my guess is that you'll be surprised by the results.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
henrychinaski
Recipes 

i made the same mistake with my first all grain effort, a simple pale ale. i tasted it after three weeks and was disgusted. i waited another week and had the same opinion, so i started dumping bottles. about a month later i remembered that there were still a few bottles around and was baffled by the crisp, smooth hoppy, malty delight i was experiencing.
then i vowed never to dump again. i almost broke my rule months later with a spiced pumpkin ale that i overdosed with mace and was essentially undrinkable. luckily i didn't an after about 8 months it mellowed out and ended up being one of the best beers in the house.
that said, if a beer never comes around, you can use it for cooking or to keep snails and slugs out of your garden.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I did my first AG batch (an oatmeal stout), I was bombarded with problems: craptastic efficiency, stuck sparge, equipment issues, racked onto about a 1/2 gallon of StarSan solution in the BB....you name it. Thought for sure I had an infected batch when I tasted a hydrometer sample two weeks into fermentation- it was grainy and not good at all. I let it sit on the cake another 3 weeks and have it bottle conditioning now (about two weeks in). I suspect this will be an entirely different and quaffable beer after some time. This is a beer I'm tempted to cellar for several months before touching.

I definitely agree with Revvy- what you are tasting is green beer, and time will heal many wounds

Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

+1 on all the above, from experience.

Worst case, you can save it for when you've already had a few and no longer can tell the difference between good and bad.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You could bottle it and call it Miller Lite ?

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
PilotBMP
Recipes 

So I am having the same problem with a Caramel Cream Ale. It tastes horribly green applish. 1 week in primary this is 2nd week in secondary. 1.062 OG and 1.010 SG. The taste is so vinegry and green apple that I can't stand it. If I read correctly I should let it chill out another week and bottle and condition for at least 3 weeks correct?

Quick Reply