Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What can I make in a rush?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
DanaDana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What can I make in a rush?

I was going to make a Black IPA for a friends birthday, but life interrupted by brewing schedule (damn you real world!). I don't have enough time to make it as I want it in the keg on Mothers Day or the Monday after (May 13-14) to serve May 19.
I would be making something this week, but I'm not sure what I can squeeze in that will be a solid drinking beer. Trying to stay away from wheat beers.
Anyone got an idea of something they made and it came out pretty good with a quick ferment?
I have yet to make a pale ale in my brewing history, do you think I could ferment in a week, dry hop a week, and it will be good?

Any input welcomed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

You have about three weeks to serving day?

I'd make a British mild, if wheat beers are out and you want to be drinking this in three weeks. A low OG beer with a highly flocculant British ale yeast = drinkable in two weeks, but better in three.

You could try a cream ale, as those are pretty quick if enough yeast is pitched and the proper fermentation temperature is maintained.

A pale ale wouldn't be a great choice for serving in three weeks, for the most part.

A lower OG, lower IBU beer is usually quite doable in a couple of weeks, but anything with roasted malt or complex flavors may take a bit longer to be ready. Other beers may be ready, but maybe not.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Soulrebel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Why not brew your Black IPA? Plenty of hops to hide any off flavors. Dry hop in the keg.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 419 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A pale ale should be ready...Edwort claims 7-10 days ferment and a week in the keg...I have served pales young....your black IPA might work as well if it is not high gravity...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
DanaDana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
You have about three weeks to serving day?

I'd make a British mild, if wheat beers are out and you want to be drinking this in three weeks. A low OG beer with a highly flocculant British ale yeast = drinkable in two weeks, but better in three.

You could try a cream ale, as those are pretty quick if enough yeast is pitched and the proper fermentation temperature is maintained.

A pale ale wouldn't be a great choice for serving in three weeks, for the most part.

A lower OG, lower IBU beer is usually quite doable in a couple of weeks, but anything with roasted malt or complex flavors may take a bit longer to be ready. Other beers may be ready, but maybe not.
Well I have a mild in the carboy (orfeys recipe with a slight twist) but that was to be bottled for a comp. Maybe I should just start up that yeast cake and make another batch.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
BrewingReverend
Recipes 

I have had kegs of pale ales gone in 3 weeks from brew many times. Just make them extra hoppy and use a starter and you will be fine.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I second this recipe:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

turns out great in a very short time.

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
ElDuderino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love wyeast 1968 for quick beers. It drops amazingly bright in less than a week. It has a nice flavor. You should try your Black IPA. I just brewed a 1.056 ESB and it was crystal clear in six days. I left it in the fermenter a week longer because of lack of time to keg, but fg came out at 1.014

There is a brewery near me in Oregon (Everybody's Brewing) that uses this beer exclusively (except for lagers) because of it's amazing turn around time.

Quick Reply