The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What burner to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
thebull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default What burner to buy?

I'm moving to all grain brewing soon and I want Santa Clause to bring a new burner that will handle ten gallon boils. I borrowed a King Kooker 110,000 BTU unit yesterday to boil a five gallon extract Fat Tire. The cooker made to much noise and was a little hard to regulate. No question it will cook.

My question: Will a 35,000 BTU low pressure burner support a ten gallon sparge and boil? This burner seems to be in my price range, but may be low on BTU's.

The Bull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

A standard cast iron "turkey burner" runs 55,000 BTU. They don't get much cheaper.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All of the standard cast iron turkey burners I've seen (or heard) tend to be loud. If the noise is a factor for you, there are some quieter ones on this page from Norther Brewer. Of course, they are available from a wide variety of sellers, so you might want to shop around. If you have natural gas, a low pressure jet-style burner is the way to go. I don't know how low-pressure propane works.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know how loud the one you used was but they all do make some noise. I have this model from Bayou Classic.It works real well. >http://www.weliveoutside.com/index.a...PROD&ProdID=35 I got mine at a Home Depot so there is no need to orde online.

Gary

Old 11-04-2006, 01:39 AM   #5
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The cheapest burners have a single jet (like a bunsen burner). They make a lot of noise, and burn a lot of propane. Slighly more expensive are burners with multiple jets like those shown in the previous links. They are quieter, and don't use as much propane.
I get about 7 - 8 brews out of a tank from my King Cooker, as opposed to about 4 brews from my old single jet burner.
Either should provide enough heat for a 10 gallon boil. As beer4breakfast said, it's definately worth shopping around as the prices vary a lot.

-a.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Default Banjo burner

You can't get much quieter than a Banjo Burner and they come in a lot of different btu sizes. Shop around I have a kick a banjo burner KA5 and I can regulate it from almost nothing to 210,000 btu's but at the highest range It absolutly SUCKS propane like a monster!!!!!!! but even running at high it is fairly quiet!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Cheep turkey fryer

I use a standard turkey fryer I got from sears for $40, It is loud but I have brewed at least 5 batches and have only used a half a tank of propane. It takes me about 15-20min to get the wart to a full boil.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
Twabe
Recipes 

I couldn't be happier with my Camp Chef 60,000 BTU jobby. It is perfect for my 9 gal ss pot.

TCW

Old 11-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm scoping out the Bayou Classic Banjo cooker; 210K BTUs, $65 (with free shipping) from Amazon.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...hlight=propane

Sounds ideal for what I have in mind.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:43 AM   #10
thebull

Recipes 

I have settled on the Banjo and want to order quickly while Amazon is offering free shipping, however, I can't decide on the 55,000 or the 210,000 BTU. Cheep skate or over-kill? David and others, will the 55,000 BTU handle ten gallon boils and the prep of them or would the 210,000 BTU unit be best? Thanks for all the info.

The Bull

Last edited by thebull; 11-11-2006 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply