what to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
guy's, i can't decide on what to brew next. maybe a chocolate stout, big american brown ale, or a dunkelweisse. any ideas or suggestions that might sway me one way or the other?????? :confused:

well im brewing a "double nut brown', a coffee porter, and a basic APA. time for winter warmers, but i gotta have some pale ale on hand anyways.

DeRoux's Broux said:
guy's, i can't decide on what to brew next. maybe a chocolate stout, big american brown ale, or a dunkelweisse. any ideas or suggestions that might sway me one way or the other?????? :confused:

I have a kick-ass ESB I've been tweekin this year...if your interested.

Sudster said:
I have a kick-ass ESB I've been tweekin this year...if your interested.
bring it on! even though i will have an amber on tap soon.....
dengel, i agree. house beer should be an IPA. nice and hoppy. fits any time of year.

If I could figure out a Pelican Doryman's Dark clone, I'd be brewing that next. Guess I'll have to rinse out the growler & drive over.

Doryman's Dark Ale

Our American Brown Ale has a dark brown color, with a balanced aroma of roasted malts and Northwest-grown hops. The sweetness of the ale and crystal malts blend beautifully with the assertive flavors of Cascade and Mt. Hood hops. A brew to be savored.

This beer originated as a prize-winning homebrew many years ago. When Darron, the Head Brewer, began designing the beers for the Pelican Pub and Brewery, he adapted his old 5 gallon homebrew recipe to his new 15 bbl (465 gallon) brewery. It was well worth the effort, for not only has the Doryman's Dark Ale been a perennial favorite here at the Pelican Pub, but it has garnered prestigious professional awards.

Awards won by Doryman's Dark Ale:

Grand Champion, 2005 Australian International Beer Awards

Champion Ale, 2005 Australian International Beer Awards

Best in Class (Ales), 2005 Australian International Beer Awards

Gold Medal
2005 Australian International Beer Awards, Dark Ale
1999 Great American Beer Festival, American Brown Ale category

Silver Medal
2005 Great American Beer Festival, American Style Brown Ale category
2002 World Beer Cup, American Style Brown Ale category
2002 North American Beer Awards, American Brown Ale category
2000 World Beer Cup, American Brown Ale category
2000 North American Beer Awards, American Brown Ale category
1998 Great American Beer Festival, American Brown Ale category

Bronze Medal
2005 North American Beer Awards, American Style Brown Ale category

Ingredients:

* Pale Ale Malt
* White Wheat Malt
* Caramel Malt
* Chocolate Malt
* Mt. Hood Hops
* Cascade Hops
* Magnum Hops
* Pure Local Water
* Pure Ale Yeast

Brewing Specifications:

* 14 degrees Plato
* Alcohol: 5.8% by volume
* Bitterness: 42 IBU
* Color: 33 lovibond

i think i decided on the Hop Rod Rye recipe from BYO. if i can't find Tomahawk hops, i'll just use the Columbus. (some say they are the same). i need a hoppy beer to contrast the Flat Tyre that i'll have on tap soon......

When I make my Hop Rod Rye clone, I usually always use Columbus, as I have yet been able to find whole Tomahawk hops either... Supposedly they are the same, but once I would like to have them to compare.

Well thanks for the link. I checked it out, they have them in stock and sell them in increments of .10lb for $1.00 each. I ordered a pound, and will let you know how they are when they arrive.

that'll work! i should be getting ready to order towards the end of the week. hope you'll have them by then??????

The order should process Monday, but I only opted for regular UPS ground, and they are in Washington, (Im in Mass) so... maybe. But probably by the beginning of next week.

Almost forgot, I received my Tomahawks Tuesday, and they look smell fantastic. Im putting together all my grain bill for the true Hop Rod Rye right now.

Well I am new to this group but I would like to gage interest. I have something for you to try.

I just finished the last of this beer I didn't have the patience to wait for it get to perfect but even young this thing was absolutly awesome.

It is a beer that is my version of Sam Adams Eutopias. It came out at 23% abv and at last taste, 3 months after brewing, it was smooth and complex as burbon with out the extra burn.

If you are interested let me know.

If not I have a great Belgian Tripple recipe!

John

Tony said:
Almost forgot, I received my Tomahawks Tuesday, and they look smell fantastic. Im putting together all my grain bill for the true Hop Rod Rye right now.
well, i waited for the hop rod and went w/ an ESB this time. Hop Rod is on deck! thanks for the feed back :D

Nwcw2001 said:
...my version of Sam Adams Eutopias. It came out at 23% abv and at last taste, 3 months after brewing, it was smooth and complex as burbon with out the extra burn. If you are interested let me know.
If not I have a great Belgian Tripple recipe! John
I'd like a look at those recipes if you please. :D

here's a link to my Kloot Sac Tripple recipe on Beertools.com

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4953

I have 7 Gallons brewing in the basement right now! Something I don't have on the recipe is that I bottle condition. So after i pitch the yeast I let it run for about 2 hours then pull a quart of wort out to repitch for carbonation during bottleing.

as far as the "Big assed Beer" goes here it is 5 Gallon batch
The grain bill will take the capacity of your system to it's limit!

Rye Malt 7#

Munich Malt 7#

Caramel Pils Malt 10#

Smoked Bamberg Malt 7#

Wheat Malt 10#
------------------------------------------
total 41#

I wanted to make sure I got complete conversion so I went 40*-50*-60*-70* on the mash. I wanted the highest yield possible.

90 minute boil

I only wanted minium bittering so my hops had 30 & 15 minute boils.

Saaz 2oz 30 min

Fuggle 2oz 15 min

Willamette 2oz 15 min
----------------------------------------

yeast White labs WP099 it is a super high gravity yeast. Make a super strong starter you want about 2 quarts for this batch.

when using this yeast you want to make sure you get the optimum production you need twice as much nutrients and 4 times as much areation. I put a fish bubbler in the carboy for the 5 days it takes to get all the wort in the fermentor.

put the 1/3rd of wort with yeast in every other day. letting the yeast grow before adding another 1/3rd. To make sure you get the FG you are looking for you need to baby the yeast and keep it warm. 65-72*

give a 4 week second ferment to clear out a bit. then move to 3rd fementor.

pour over 3 oz of oak wine barrel chips and let set 6 months minimum. (granted it tastes AWESOME after 3 months!) The more you let it set the more it mellows. If you can afford an actual cask then that is better than the chips.

For more info on the yeast and babying it check out this site

http://www.whitelabs.com/gravity.html

If you have any comments or questions Give me a hollar!

Back