Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What is the best All-Grain book/reference?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Griffsta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the best All-Grain book/reference?

Im finally going all grain. There are many books out there, most of which have 1) general homebrow info, 2)a section on all grain, and 3) tons of recipies.

I am looking for something that is specifically geared toward all grain, or at least very heavy in all grain info.

Let me know if you guys know anything. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
mandoman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the first mostly all grain book should be john palmers how to brew. you can preview it at:

How to Brew - By John Palmer

There are tons of great books but this one is a good overview, nice level of detail without being stupid crazy

Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't think there are any that are all grain focused because it's a relatively small portion of the homebrew market. Palmer's How to Brew - By John Palmer does a pretty good job but it is light on batch sparge info. I've never watched it but Basic Brewing? : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Basic Brewing Radio? has a DVD geared towards all grain.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

New Brewing Lager Beer by Noonan covers a lot of advanced topics that either aren't covered in How To Brew at all, or are not covered thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
New Brewing Lager Beer by Noonan covers a lot of advanced topics that either aren't covered in How To Brew at all, or are not covered thoroughly.
I would consider this book an intermediate to expert read. This might speak to my lack of intelligence, but I had to read through some sections several times to understand them.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Two thumbs up for Noonan. I would also second Palmer's How to Brew as the best and most up-to-date general purpose homebrewing book. HTB has very good info on all aspects of homebrewing but Brewing Lager Beer goes into more depth and detail than other homebrewing publications especially on topics such as mashing and brewing water. Don't let the title fool you. While it is based on lagers 99% of the information it has also pertains to ales.

Quick Reply