Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What about adding additional malt to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
drakub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default What about adding additional malt to secondary?

For the past few months my buddy and i have had few issues with very low FG (a lot of booze but no taste). Is there any way to add some nonfermentable sugar to secondary to regain some body in the beer. I have learned what my mistakes could have been but we are still sitting on two 5 gal batches that are close to non drinkable due to dryness and I wanted to see if there anything that we can to do to save it prior to bottling it.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I've never actually tried this but have thought about something like lactose. That is a nonfermentable sugar that people use for Milk Stouts but depending on the beer I wonder what sort of flavor that would impart.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Lactose will make it sweeter. Malto Dextrine malt will add very little sweetness, but will add body. Which is what I think you are looking for. I just added about 6 oz of MD to a kegged special bitter of mine that finished way low (1.002). Added quite a bit of body and I'm happy now. 3-4 oz is perfect if you want just a little body. In 30+ brews, I've had to do this twice. Cheap insureance to keep around your brew house just in case.

Primary #1: Border Crossing Vienna #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Empty
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 07-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
drakub
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
Lactose will make it sweeter. Malto Dextrine malt will add very little sweetness, but will add body. Which is what I think you are looking for. I just added about 6 oz of MD to a kegged special bitter of mine that finished way low (1.002). Added quite a bit of body and I'm happy now. 3-4 oz is perfect if you want just a little body. In 30+ brews, I've had to do this twice. Cheap insureance to keep around your brew house just in case.
I think that might be the answer... I would assume that the MD has to be cooked for 15 min but in how much water??? and then cooled to 70 and then siphoned into the carboy... am i on the right track?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
solbes
Recipes 

It just needs to be dissolved in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. I would say no more than a cup of water with your 3-6 oz MD. The MD amount really will be determined by how much body increase you are looking for.

Then after boiling, bring it down to 70-75 and gently pour into the carboy. If you can siphon great, but I don't think its necessary if you are careful. Just tip the carboy a little and pour down the inner side of the neck. Should be no mixing really required if you are going to rack to a keg or bottling bucket later on.

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Rather than trying to put a band aid on the problem why not try to fix whatever is wrong with your process or recipes?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
drakub
Recipes 

I totally agree with reverseapchemaster... i think i got it figured out what the issues where (high temp, long mash, high yeast... etc) i will try to do my next batch taking these things under consideration... but for now i am trying to salvage 10 gal of beer and at this point i see nothing to loose...

Old 07-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakub View Post
I totally agree with reverseapchemaster... i think i got it figured out what the issues where (high temp, long mash, high yeast... etc) i will try to do my next batch taking these things under consideration... but for now i am trying to salvage 10 gal of beer and at this point i see nothing to loose...
By high temp I'm assuming you mean fermentation temp and not mash temp correct? Because a high mash temp would do the opposite.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
drakub
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Rather than trying to put a band aid on the problem why not try to fix whatever is wrong with your process or recipes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmybeer View Post
By high temp I'm assuming you mean fermentation temp and not mash temp correct? Because a high mash temp would do the opposite.
Yes ... the fermentation temp in my basement is about 72 and due to the size of it i can't really do much. I will be trying a swamp cooler and if that works i might actually build something out of sheets of foam and ice bottles etc...

Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

A little higher fermentation temp might get you to FG sooner, but I doubt it would change your FG by much. Your yeast will keep munching until the fermentable sugar is exhausted, assuming there are enough healthy yeast available.

If you haven't already, I'd calibrate the thermometer that you use to measure mash temps. Mine reads 3 degrees low. If yours reads a few degrees high, that could easily explain the high attenuation with low mash temps.

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles

Quick Reply