I've been conditioning the grain since I started AG so I can't really compare before/after results but have been quite pleased. Efficiency varies somewhat from recipe to recipe (my lowest is 82 and my highest was 92, most barley brews are around 84), but re-brews on the same recipe have been within an efficiency point and repeatable every time. Like you, I didn't really want to add complexity to my process and was concerned with the rollers on my mill rusting but decided to give it a try. Before milling, I always assemble the grainbill in a food-safe 5 gallon bucket. About 10 minutes before milling, I tilt the bucket and give the grain 5 squirts from a spray bottle, I then tilt it the opposite direction and give it another 5 squirts then I stir everything by hand and repeat the whole process until I've given it a total of 50 squirts. This works out to about 3oz of water with that particular spray bottle. After stirring everything in I let it set for about 10 minutes and then mill it with my rollers set at .045". The crush looks great and rusting has been a non-issue, I think there just isn't enough moisture to matter. It seems to be very repeatable so far and the benefit is I don't have to adjust my rollers ever. Just an option if you're still playing with the process.