Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Weevils in my Pilsner and Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
radial67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weevils in my Pilsner and Wheat

About 4 months ago i asked a brewer friend of mine to buy me 2x25kg bags of malt from Muntons in preparation for a bunch of brews I was going to do. 1 wheat and the other a pilsner. I put them in my coolroom for storage and since then had a car accident and broke a few major bones, so havent had the chance to brew. Over the weekend I opened the pilsner only to find these little black beetles crawling on the outside of the bag and thru both bags of malt.

I know that its not possible for the maltsters to get all the bugs out of the product before its shipped, however im in a very isloated part of asia where obtaining malt is both expensive AND troublesome, esp for me at the moment, and I feel because the time duration between when I took delivery of the malt and now, its not my brewer friends responsibility.

So, considering the AG process, (mash, sparge, boil) am I faced with throwing the malt away, or, can i use it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4946 Times on 4515 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial67 View Post
About 4 months ago i asked a brewer friend of mine to buy me 2x25kg bags of malt from Muntons in preparation for a bunch of brews I was going to do. 1 wheat and the other a pilsner. I put them in my coolroom for storage and since then had a car accident and broke a few major bones, so havent had the chance to brew. Over the weekend I opened the pilsner only to find these little black beetles crawling on the outside of the bag and thru both bags of malt.

I know that its not possible for the maltsters to get all the bugs out of the product before its shipped, however im in a very isloated part of asia where obtaining malt is both expensive AND troublesome, esp for me at the moment, and I feel because the time duration between when I took delivery of the malt and now, its not my brewer friends responsibility.

So, considering the AG process, (mash, sparge, boil) am I faced with throwing the malt away, or, can i use it?
Would have thought Singapore to be a bit less isolated than mainland. Have you considered trying to strike up a deal with buyers for the Guiness over in Petaling Jaya? Or at the Tiger brewery in Singapore?

As for the malt, I say freeze it hard for a week to kill the bugs, mash in and try to skim the floaters.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Just think of it as extra protein, and besides, won't the proteins coagulate with some whirlfloc?

How many bugs are we talking about? I'm leaning toward Gila's suggestion too, freeze if you're going to store longer and/or just skim 'em out in the mash.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
mbauer013
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The filter bed should get rid of the critters and the boil will kill anything they were carrying. Just up your grain bill to make up for the extra mass of non fermentables and the fact that they ate some grain. Heck this is probably more authentic of older brews!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
AgingHopster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Bugs poop, (more than you might think). The more bugs, the more bug poop will be in your wort. I don't think any grain is totally free from trace fecal matter but if you mash your pilsner and your wort looks like an amber or a stout you'll know.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The weevils won't have any effect on your beer that you can possibly detect. If you'd rather they were dead, and easy way to kill them is to add some dry ice to the container the malt is in. As it sublimes, the CO2 will fill the container and suffocate them. Easier than trying to freeze a whole bunch of grain.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Rugrad02
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Weevils are nasty buggers. Last spring some friends were visiting and wanted to play some cornhole. I noticed my bags were way lighter than they should be. I cut open one of the bags and found lots of corn dust, hollowed out corn kernels and hundreds of weevils. I had to refill all of my bags and I now store the bags in my chest freezer. A bit off topic, I know but I wanted to chime in my disgust of weevils.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3193

• You can brew with the weevils in there, live or dead. This won't have any affect on the beer.
  • Only takes 1 full day at freezing temps to kill them dead.
  • They don't eat much.
  • I've read that they abhor a bay leaf; I considered putting one in each of my grain containers, but never did.
Much more info here, with pics!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/grai...riment-209746/

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
radial67
Recipes 

I didnt think about the dry ice concept, BUT something along a similar line..... What about dumping the grain into a trash bag and then half a tank of CO2 into the bag?

Do you think that would be enough to kill em?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
KavDaven
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hmm, I'd brew it up and name it special.

Singapore Weevil
Cured Weevil - Sophocles
Effortless Weevil - Baudelaire
The Weevil's Creed - Adorno
The Unequaled Weevil - Corneille
Weevil's Last Card - C.S. Lewis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boll_weevil
http://www.nal.usda.gov/speccoll/col...y/weevilpg.htm

Quick Reply