Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wedding Brew Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
dawgmatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would do the Kolsch or the Centenial Blonde, something lighter for the mortals.
Better yet, you should ask your SWMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
DZzero15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal View Post
Following. I am ALSO getting married in Sept, with 100 People, and doing all the brewing....WEIRD
Congrats man! We need to team up and compare notes. I'll have a wonky schedule so you can help keep me on the ball. Any ideas about what you will be brewing?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
DZzero15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal View Post
Following. I am ALSO getting married in Sept, with 100 People, and doing all the brewing....WEIRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I'm willing to bet that people will drink most of whatever you pick from #3; and you will be bring home almost full kegs of #1 and #2. The amount of full cups of #1 and #2 laying around after the reception will break your heart.

My assumption is you have the "normal" beer drinker attending your wedding. Even as someone who appreciates craft-beer, I'm probably steer clear of the #1 and #2.

My opinion is you skip #1 and #2 entirely, and provide more of #3 instead.
You speak truth. However, i think I have enough beer drinkers where the dubbel will go fast so I'm still going to give a 5 gallon batch a shot. The apfelwein I'll keep since it only needs to be bottled and it costs less than $30 to make. I think I'll do 10 gallons of Belgian amber and centennial blonde (keeping with a belgianesque theme). I plan to do a test brew of these two ASAP and then will swap one out for kolsch if I feel like either don't turn out.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
DZzero15
Recipes 

Final thoughts?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I'm willing to bet that people will drink most of whatever you pick from #3; and you will be bring home almost full kegs of #1 and #2. The amount of full cups of #1 and #2 laying around after the reception will break your heart.

My assumption is you have the "normal" beer drinker attending your wedding. Even as someone who appreciates craft-beer, I'm probably steer clear of the #1 and #2.

My opinion is you skip #1 and #2 entirely, and provide more of #3 instead.
I would drop the apfelwein and make something along the lines of Sierra Nevada pale ale, then choose option three for the third beer, or even an American wheat beer (even tho I generally don't like the style, lots of people do). Another option would be a duvel clone.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would say Kolsch or an American Hefeweizen. Both of those beers will be a hit and your "I only drink Bud Light" drinkers will be shocked at how good real beer tastes. Either way Congrats!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZzero15 View Post
You speak truth. However, i think I have enough beer drinkers where the dubbel will go fast so I'm still going to give a 5 gallon batch a shot. The apfelwein I'll keep since it only needs to be bottled and it costs less than $30 to make. I think I'll do 10 gallons of Belgian amber and centennial blonde (keeping with a belgianesque theme). I plan to do a test brew of these two ASAP and then will swap one out for kolsch if I feel like either don't turn out.
You know that I'm right, but you are going to do what you want anyway. Fair enough. congratulations!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

I would lean towards lighter, more palatable-for-the-masses, brews. I make beer all the time for friends' parties. Through trial and error, I have discovered that lighter-colored beers are by far more popular. Things like hefeweizens, wits (yes, wits - people like them), kolschs, golden ales, etc. are wildly popular. Oddly, I believe that non-craft brew drinkers make up their minds first (and largely) with their eyes. If a beer is light color, they try it with a positive outlook. A darker-colored beer is tried with a pessimistic view.

Just sayin'.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Kolsch for sure. I have yet to find someone that doesn't like my homebrew Kolsch. Then I would do a wheat beer or maybe a Patersbier if you wanted to go Belgian. And then if you wanted to get a darker or hoppier brew, a modest porter (1.05 OG) or american pale ale.

I love dubbel and apfelwein, but I don't see them as big hits at a wedding. This advice is worth exactly 2 pennies.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

First off, Congrats to you and your bride! Last summer/fall I had the honor of brewing the beverages for my brother-in-laws rehearsal dinner. Two of the three were request by the bride and groom. The bride suffers from Celiac disease and is the reason I first brewed Ed's Apfelwein so I always have 10-15 gallons on hand so that was easy.

The groom asked for me to brew Yoopers' Cal Common, he had had it a number of times in the past, it's one of his favorites and it has always been a crowd pleaser (Thanks Yoop!). As for the third I brewed BM's Cream of Three Crops it is a great warm weather selection that beer nerds and non beer nerds enjoy.

We had 5 gallons of each for 40-50 guests. The only thing remaining at the end of about 4-5 hours was 2 gallons of Apfelwein that was quickly bottled and given to the bride and her sister to smuggle into the catered reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZzero15 View Post
I'm getting married in September, and am brewing for my wedding (100 people or so). I think have narrowed the beer list down:

1. Belgian Dubbel (10 gallons) - A maltier stronger beer with mass-appeal.
Great beer, I would be surprised if your guests consume 5 gallons.

2. Edwort's Apfelwein (10 gallons) - Seasonal offering with a lot of kick!
Good option for non beer drinkers/wine drinkers. Just a word of caution a Solo cup or two of %8+ Apfelwein could spell trouble for the less experienced non hombrewer.

3. 10 gallons of one of the following:
Option 1: Kolsch
Option 2: Fat Tire Clone (Belgian Amber)
Option 3: Centennial Blonde Partial Grain (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cent...1/index55.html)
I would suggest 10 gallons of one of the gateway brews Kolsh, BM's cent blond, cream of three crops or EdWorts Haus Pale Ale

The idea with the third option is to have a lighter beer that still has appeal for the connoisseurs. Any other thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

Quick Reply