Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wedding Brew Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
DZzero15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wedding Brew Suggestions?

I'm getting married in September, and am brewing for my wedding (100 people or so). I think have narrowed the beer list down:

1. Belgian Dubbel (10 gallons) - A maltier stronger beer with mass-appeal.

2. Edwort's Apfelwein (10 gallons) - Seasonal offering with a lot of kick!

3. 10 gallons of one of the following:
Option 1: Kolsch
Option 2: Fat Tire Clone (Belgian Amber)
Option 3: Centennial Blonde Partial Grain (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cent...1/index55.html)

The idea with the third option is to have a lighter beer that still has appeal for the connoisseurs. Any other thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like option three. Unless you know that your guests really do enjoy craft/homebrew beer that option allows for a broader selection. If you are attempting to introduce ppl to good beer color may be an issue. Also, bigger beers are not necessarily, "session" beers. What do you want your guests to do? Dance and be active all evening? Also, the bigger the beer, the less one can safely drink and drive.

Just sayin.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
I like option three. Unless you know that your guests really do enjoy craft/homebrew beer that option allows for a broader selection. If you are attempting to introduce ppl to good beer color may be an issue. Also, bigger beers are not necessarily, "session" beers. What do you want your guests to do? Dance and be active all evening? Also, the bigger the beer, the less one can safely drink and drive.

Just sayin.
+1 on all counts. People tend to party all night at weddings -- that certainly wouldn't be the case with all strong ales on tap.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 780 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 539

I would like a darker option. I brewed for my sister's wedding and the stout was gone right quick. I think most people enjoy a proper chocolate milk stout...that's just my opinion though...

Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I brewed Ed Wort's Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale for my friends wedding and it went over really good..

Just my 2 cents.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
DZzero15
Recipes 

Thanks everyone. However, the idea is that I'm going to brew the dubbel, apfelwein, AND something from #3. 10 gallons each

Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Gigemags05
Recipes 

I was just about to say that 10 gallons would only last about 15 minutes at the weddings that I've been to with 100 people.

I'd say fat tire clone/ some other amber ale. Great tasting brew that lots of people who may not love home/craft brews will enjoy.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZzero15 View Post
Thanks everyone. However, the idea is that I'm going to brew the dubbel, apfelwein, AND something from #3. 10 gallons each
I'm willing to bet that people will drink most of whatever you pick from #3; and you will be bring home almost full kegs of #1 and #2. The amount of full cups of #1 and #2 laying around after the reception will break your heart.

My assumption is you have the "normal" beer drinker attending your wedding. Even as someone who appreciates craft-beer, I'm probably steer clear of the #1 and #2.

My opinion is you skip #1 and #2 entirely, and provide more of #3 instead.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
raskal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZzero15 View Post
I'm getting married in September, and am brewing for my wedding (100 people or so).
Following. I am ALSO getting married in Sept, with 100 People, and doing all the brewing....WEIRD

Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Got married last May. Brewed up 10 gallons of Kolsch (2 batches) and it was a hit! It's light enough for "normals" to really enjoy and "exotic" enough for people interested in beers to get into.

Keep in mind not all of your guests will be 21+ though. It might reduce the amount of beers you have to make.

Quick Reply