Way over carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileyak87

Reaction score
So I found 2 cases of American wheat I bottled about 4 weeks ago in the back of my closet upstairs I forgot I had made. Well need less to say they are way over carbed and I must have messed up brewing them cause they taste terrible. Any ideas what to do? Should I dump them or use them for beer batter or something? They taste like cheap vodka so not planning to drink them

I'm surprised they went bad in only 4 weeks. Seems kinda strange. Might be ok in beer bread. Honestly though, if they taste that bad, they're probably not gonna help the flavor of any food you add them to.

Time can heal many brewing sins. If you don't need the bottles for another batch let them sit for another 3-4 weeks. I have had several beers that started out bad but over time became quite good. With that, if after a few more weeks and the beer is still bad, don't be afraid to dump it. No honor lost. Make another batch and try again.

Get a friend who distills. If it's not too hoppy it'll make good shine! It took three passes to distill my horrible Imperial oatmeal cream stout. What was left was pretty good! Threw in an orange and leman peel and it was very refreshing...and dangerous!

What do you think might be the cause of the overcarb?

Overprimed? Not fully attenuated when bottled? Possible infection?

Tell more about the flavor; is it just a "hot," over-alcoholic flavor? What was the OG, what FG did you target and what did you get?

I ended up dumping them. Don't need the bottles since I just ordered 6 corny kegs and have 2 already. Was my first time doing biab. I hit 1.06 and had a FG of 1.02. Seemed kinda high. Weird thing is that I split this batch and used 3 gallons for a raspberry wheat and after adding the raspberries I drank all those bottles up in 3 days. Maybe the non raspberry batch got infected cause it was pure foam except 2 inches in the glass, tasted like ever clear / vodka

Back