The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Watery Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
BVilleggiante
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Watery Beer

The beer I've been brewing seems watery to me and lacking in flavor. I don't believe it's my recipes, but I really notice it in my reds and browns. I'm wondering if it's just the style? My only other thought, which I don't think is right, but I use 1.5 quarts water per lb. of grain and I know most people use around 1.25 quarts of water per grain. Any thoughts on that?

Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
The beer I've been brewing seems watery to me and lacking in flavor. I don't believe it's my recipes, but I really notice it in my reds and browns. I'm wondering if it's just the style? My only other thought, which I don't think is right, but I use 1.5 quarts water per lb. of grain and I know most people use around 1.25 quarts of water per grain. Any thoughts on that?
I use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, but in my stout I go with 1.75 quarts/pound.

It could be your ingredients, and/or your mashing temperature. What is a typical recipe that you find watery, and what's the mash temperature? How do you sparge?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
Primevci
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is this after its carbed

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Yooper,

Was really hoping you'd see this as I have a high respect for your opinion/posts. I've attached an example of my red ale. Mashing temperature is at 150 degrees and I fly sparge and to this point have always met my estimated OG.

picture-1.jpg  

Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, this is carbed in a keg at 2.5 volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primevci View Post
Is this after its carbed

Old 09-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Hey Yooper,

Was really hoping you'd see this as I have a high respect for your opinion/posts. I've attached an example of my red ale. Mashing temperature is at 150 degrees and I fly sparge and to this point have always met my estimated OG.
Definitely increase the mash temperature! A mash temp of 150 is fine for something you want to finish thin, crisp, and dry. Like a cream ale or light American lager. But if you want a fuller mouthfeel, definitely increase that temperature! How sure are you that you're holding temperature during the mash? If the temperature is dropping, that could be even worse!

I mash my stout at 156/158, and many other beers at 154. Try the higher mash temp.

How about your sparging technique? Are you mashing out? Starting your boil right away?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I thought I might be too low on this as well and was planning to try 154 my next brew. Great to hear I was headed in the right direction. I know I'm holding temperature as I use MoreBeers Smart Recirculation System with a Ranco telling me grain temp and a second built in thermometer as a backup.

I fly sparge for 1.5 hours. I've determined this to be too long, and for me 45 min. is too short (don't reach my estimated OG), so I'm going to go for 60 minutes next time. As soon as my wort is transfered I boil right away and have a good rolling boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Definitely increase the mash temperature! A mash temp of 150 is fine for something you want to finish thin, crisp, and dry. Like a cream ale or light American lager. But if you want a fuller mouthfeel, definitely increase that temperature! How sure are you that you're holding temperature during the mash? If the temperature is dropping, that could be even worse!

I mash my stout at 156/158, and many other beers at 154. Try the higher mash temp.

How about your sparging technique? Are you mashing out? Starting your boil right away?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ok, I thought I might be too low on this as well and was planning to try 154 my next brew. Great to hear I was headed in the right direction. I know I'm holding temperature as I use MoreBeers Smart Recirculation System with a Ranco telling me grain temp and a second built in thermometer as a backup.

I fly sparge for 1.5 hours. I've determined this to be too long, and for me 45 min. is too short (don't reach my estimated OG), so I'm going to go for 60 minutes next time. As soon as my wort is transfered I boil right away and have a good rolling boil.
Is that a RIMS? I've never seen the system, so I"m not sure what it is. I assume you're mashing out before sparging, so that should be fine even if you take a long time to sparge as you should denature the enzymes through the mashout/sparge period and hold the mash profile of the wort.

A 60 minute sparge would be good- mine is usually shorter but I'm an inpatient person.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Yooper,

It's a HERMS System. I'm indeed mashing out before sparging at 168 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Is that a RIMS? I've never seen the system, so I"m not sure what it is. I assume you're mashing out before sparging, so that should be fine even if you take a long time to sparge as you should denature the enzymes through the mashout/sparge period and hold the mash profile of the wort.

A 60 minute sparge would be good- mine is usually shorter but I'm an inpatient person.

Quick Reply