Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > water volumes for High Gravity beer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
muthafuggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: , Utah
Posts: 180
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default water volumes for High Gravity beer

I'm trying a retardedly high-gravity brew for 12-12-12. It's a Scottish strong, and I'm shooting for 12% alcohol (because I'm prosaic like that). I'm using BeerSmith to come up with a recipe, and I'm not sure that the volumes make sense. Here's the recipe:

22 lbs of Golden Promise
1 lb of Caramel 120l
1 oz of Brewer's gold hops
Wyeast 1728 Scottish (7 quart starter)

According to BeerSmith, I mash in with 29 quarts of water.. I'm not sure I'm even reading this correctly.

I only have a 10 gallon cooler. I'm not sure 23 pounds of grain and 7.5 gallons of water will FIT into an igloo cooler.

Also, isn't that water to grist ratio way, way off?

I'm planning on grabbing the first two gallons of runnings and boiling them down to a syrup consistency and then adding that back to the boil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

__________________

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

muthafuggle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
KuntzBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 630
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

That's 1.25qts/lb and that's pretty normal, ull need to sparge a lot, your cooler will be filled to max capacity, and do not boil your wort to a syrup, that's a good way to end up with an extremely high FG, what makes you want to do this? If you want (it will take twice as long) but do two full mashes with half the grain in each, collect the runnings and sparge from the first then dump the grain and redo, then boil all your wort together

__________________
KuntzBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,887
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntzBrewing View Post
That's 1.25qts/lb and that's pretty normal, ull need to sparge a lot, your cooler will be filled to max capacity, and do not boil your wort to a syrup, that's a good way to end up with an extremely high FG, what makes you want to do this? If you want (it will take twice as long) but do two full mashes with half the grain in each, collect the runnings and sparge from the first then dump the grain and redo, then boil all your wort together
From the little I've read, the scottish style (which the OP is shooting for) takes a PORTION of the wort and boils to a syrup, then adds back to the boil for a caramel flavor. Don't think it means syrup the entire batch.
__________________
william_shakes_beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,752
Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default

Beersmith should tell you the mash tun volume required.

__________________

Fake it til you make it.

BrewKnurd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,752
Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default

Well, according to Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators 23 pounds of grain at a 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness will take up 9 gallons.

Warning, I have never used this site for anything before, so I have no idea how accurate it is.

__________________

Fake it til you make it.

BrewKnurd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
muthafuggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: , Utah
Posts: 180
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
From the little I've read, the scottish style (which the OP is shooting for) takes a PORTION of the wort and boils to a syrup, then adds back to the boil for a caramel flavor. Don't think it means syrup the entire batch.
That's why I am only taking 2 gallons out to reduce. Do you have some experience with this style that would tell you that this is too much?
__________________

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

muthafuggle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,717
Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Well, according to Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators 23 pounds of grain at a 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness will take up 9 gallons.

Warning, I have never used this site for anything before, so I have no idea how accurate it is.
Um, yes, that's what it says.

I used 23 pound of grain today in a 10 gallon round Igloo cooler with a false bottom. Using 1.25 quarts per pound, it doesn't quite fit. Almost, but not quite.

You'll have to reduce the water in the mash, maybe going to 1.10 quarts/pound.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
muthafuggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: , Utah
Posts: 180
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Um, yes, that's what it says.

I used 23 pound of grain today in a 10 gallon round Igloo cooler with a false bottom. Using 1.25 quarts per pound, it doesn't quite fit. Almost, but not quite.

You'll have to reduce the water in the mash, maybe going to 1.10 quarts/pound.
Thanks Yoop! that sounds like a VERY thick mash. Any sage words of advice on this beer?
__________________

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

muthafuggle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,717
Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthafuggle View Post
Thanks Yoop! that sounds like a VERY thick mash. Any sage words of advice on this beer?
Sage advice? From me.

Hmmm. Just one- don't **** it up.

But if you do, don't worry about it.



Seriously, you're good.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,752
Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sage advice? From me.

Hmmm. Just one- don't **** it up.

But if you do, don't worry about it.



Seriously, you're good.
and if you DO still feel the need to worry about it, try to keep in mind that some of the worlds greatest discoveries have come from someone ****ing something up.
__________________

Fake it til you make it.

BrewKnurd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High gravity beer not carbonating spiny_norman All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 20 01-14-2014 08:36 PM
High gravity beer in a 5 gallon mash tun mrdauber64 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 01-11-2012 02:56 AM
Low Efficiency on High Gravity Beer busta98 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-02-2011 06:05 PM
High Gravity Beer Help Khirsah17 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 05-20-2009 11:48 PM
High Gravity Water Use HopTrap All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-11-2009 05:29 PM