Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water Report

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Water Report

I want to do some of the Palmer nomographs so that I can understand my mash pH

Here is what you need

Quote:
Calcium (Ca+2),
Magnesium (Mg+2),
Bicarbonate (HCO3-1)
Sulfate (SO4-2).
These are somewhat optional as they can influence the taste of the water and beer, but do not affect the mash pH like the others.
Quote:
Sodium (Na+1),
Chloride (Cl-1)
Here is my problem. The City of Phoenix Aesthetic Standards tables do not explicitly list all of these. Futhermore they do not report a delivered average but instead opt for a lowest and highest reported value. Not very brewing friendly.

Here is said report in all of its pdf ignomy:
http://phoenix.gov/waterservices/qualre06.pdf

Beertools Pro lists Tempe Water (different system), but not Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale or Tucson... oddly listing Payson (a burgh of 15,000) over the 5.5 million it ignores.

Aiighhhh!!

BTP Tempe Values
Quote:
Calcium (Ca+2) - 64
Magnesium (Mg+2) - 21
Bicarbonate (HCO3-1) - 12
Sulfate (SO4-2) - 118
Sodium (Na+1) - 190
Chloride (Cl-1) - 1


Anyone have these values?



..
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
johnsma22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 1,892
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Send a water sample to Ward Lab and get The W-6 Household Mineral Test. It will tell you the concentrations of all the ions a brewer needs to know.

W-6 Household Mineral Test $15.00
Sodium
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Carbonate
Bicarbonate
Chloride
Sulfate
Nitrate
Electrical Conductivity
Est. Total Dissolved Solids
pH
Total Hardness (Lime)
Total Alkalinity

__________________
Cheers,
John
johnsma22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,757
Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Send a water sample to Ward Lab and get The W-6 Household Mineral Test. It will tell you the concentrations of all the ions a brewer needs to know.

W-6 Household Mineral Test $15.00
Would the W-5 be better or is it wasted money for the extra tests for fluoride and iron? Thanks for the link. I'm going to get my water tested!
__________________

Cheers,
Rich

RichBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bearcat Brewmeister's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 700
Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Beertools Pro lists Tempe Water (different system), but not Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale or Tucson... oddly listing Payson (a burgh of 15,000) over the 5.5 million it ignores.
If I had to guess why they are ignoring Phoenix, it might be that a city that large has multiple water treatment plants that feed a common pipe sytem and secondary water parameters vary depending on your proximity to those plants. Giving a single set of values for the city may be misleading, but Tucson is decent size and they do provide values so who knows. In my county, we are served by three treatment plants into a shared pipe system and the hardness varies from 120 to 240 ppm depending on how close you are to which plant.
__________________
Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong, Robust Porter, Ryewine, Old Ale
Secondary:
Bock
Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator
Bearcat Brewmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
johnsma22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 1,892
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Would the W-5 be better or is it wasted money for the extra tests for fluoride and iron? Thanks for the link. I'm going to get my water tested!
Well, flouride isn't an issue with well water, and the levels in most municipalities is relatively low. I'm not sure that it even has any effect on brewing anyway. Iron in well water can be an issue, but it can be effectively removed with a good sediment/carbon filter. So if you filter your water the iron content really isn't important, as you are removing it anyway.

All that said, for an additional $9 it might be worth knowing.
__________________
Cheers,
John
johnsma22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Levers101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa City
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister
If I had to guess why they are ignoring Phoenix, it might be that a city that large has multiple water treatment plants that feed a common pipe sytem and secondary water parameters vary depending on your proximity to those plants. Giving a single set of values for the city may be misleading, but Tucson is decent size and they do provide values so who knows. In my county, we are served by three treatment plants into a shared pipe system and the hardness varies from 120 to 240 ppm depending on how close you are to which plant.
I concur, if you look at the water report it lists multiple surface water sources, all of which probably have a varying composition. Your water composition might vary through the year some too, as I'd think the treatment plants might shift around to different sources depending on the availability of water.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary: Strawberry Wine

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:


Bull Sprig Brewery
Levers101 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
Got Trub?
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,538
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

With such large variations I don't know that a water analysis will be that helpfull to you. If your water varies by that much throughout the year it will be impossible for you to make meaningfull adjustments...If you are already getting good starch conversion I would just RDWHAHB. If you run into problems with certain styles then either get water from a consistent source or try the 5.2 product.

__________________
Got Trub? is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Thanks for the info everone. I will probabaly go with a test of some sort. IIRC there is a lab here in town that used to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub?
With such large variations I don't know that a water analysis will be that helpfull to you. If your water varies by that much throughout the year it will be impossible for you to make meaningfull adjustments...If you are already getting good starch conversion I would just RDWHAHB. If you run into problems with certain styles then either get water from a consistent source or try the 5.2 product.
Yes there is variation, but without any other stat, it would be hard what the distribution is. I image they are using numbers from all three TPs. My guess is that some of the outliers are event based such as after a monsoon.

Still, I imagine they have the numbers I am looking for. Internally they must strive for procedures that limit the variance. That's why an average and/or a standard deviation would have been nice. Obviously, they felt that that would confuse the hell out of most 5th graders so they use the highest/lowest.

Again, I think I will get a test. If the procedure isn't too odious (shipping a cold sample), I think that it warrants doing it annually to see what kind of consistancy I get.

It would be cool if someone else in the area would do this so we can compare notes.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
clayof2day
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clayof2day's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 567
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

You know...Palmer has a spreadsheet with chapter 15 posted on his website. No need for nomographs, punch in your numbers and it spits out your RA and has places to add salts and/or acid to the mash and will spit out your new RA and I think even expected mash pH. The thing is wonderful, I recommend downloading a copy

EDIT: maybe I should read the original poster's thread better and understand the quesitons, sorry Rob. The spreadsheet is still the way to go...'eff nomographs

__________________

Last edited by clayof2day; 07-11-2007 at 07:29 PM.
clayof2day is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayof2day
You know...Palmer has a spreadsheet with chapter 15 posted on his website. No need for nomographs, punch in your numbers and it spits out your RA and has places to add salts and/or acid to the mash and will spit out your new RA and I think even expected mash pH. The thing is wonderful, I recommend downloading a copy
I plan on doing it both ways.
I like the visual nature of the nomographs and I intend to print one up and put it on the beer fridge.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my water report. Please help. Lodovico All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 31 08-09-2013 10:10 PM
maybe i don't know enough, but...(water report) Donner Brew Science 13 09-18-2009 04:22 AM
Water Report Help Please JrZyBud All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 05-17-2009 03:16 PM
Can someone help me with my water report? Ryan_PA All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 05-13-2008 05:30 PM
Using a water report for spring water. bearymore All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 04-22-2008 05:51 PM



Newest Threads