Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water Question regarding DARK grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
kvh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water Question regarding DARK grains

We're planning on making a beer that'll be a high ABV, thick, black as possible, and hopefully very very rich (don't ask for the recipe - A. you'll all balk at it, and B. it's at home and I'm at work - I can post it later if you're really curious.). I do recall that it has both Chocolate and Black Patent malt, as well as a lot of Carapils - I forget the rest at the moment. The goal will hopefully be a lovely night cap beer for a christmas party in 6 months.

My question is: I recall reading somewhere that the darker grains in particular need harder water to be properly absorbed. Is this true? Is there a good water profile I can work towards that someone could point me to? I think I have all the salts and minerals I might need to adjust the hardness...

Thanks!
kvh

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Lot's of dark grains will bump your acidity higher. To counter this (neutralizing the acid essentially) you should have a high amount of carbonate hardness in your water or adjust accordingly...but with reservations. I say this as most adjustments impart salt, which if used in high enough concentration will come through in the end.

A good rule of thumb with even say a Stout is to shoot for a max of around 10% of the total grain bill. In general you shouldn't need any more than that.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
kvh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
A good rule of thumb with even say a Stout is to shoot for a max of around 10% of the total grain bill. In general you shouldn't need any more than that.
Do you mean 10% specialty grains?

kvh
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Quick Reply