Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water Quality Report - HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default Water Quality Report - HELP!

I have no idea what this stuff means...if any of you experts can decipher this and offer advice I would appreciate it..immensly. What styles of beer does my water lend itself too? Should I be adding gypsum for my pale ale recipes? etc..etc..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
martinworswick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

there isn't really anything of relevance there,is that the total report? you want the sodium,sulphate,chloride,magnesium,carbonate and calcium levels.what you have just looks like a small part of the report

Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
martinworswick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

it looks like that report is about 2.5 years old

Old 01-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I have no idea what this stuff means...if any of you experts can decipher this and offer advice I would appreciate it..immensly. What styles of beer does my water lend itself too? Should I be adding gypsum for my pale ale recipes? etc..etc..

This is a "quality/health" report. All it tells you is that the water is safe to drink. There is almost nothing in these types of reports that pertain to brewing. Read the stickys about water in the Science section as well as the water sections in your homebrewing books. You do own some good homebrewing books, right? Request a report from the Fargo Water Dept that shows all the mineral ion concentrations or send a sample to Ward Labs.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

I found this:

The softening process design is based on a consistent finished water total hardness of 120 milligrams per liter (mg/L) and a magnesium hardness not exceeding 40 mg/L

Quick Reply