New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water profile for US Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
awarnock01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water profile for US Pale Ale

Hi all,

I am brewing a American Pale Ale and find the Bitterness is a little harsh without adjusting the water.
I have gone through all of the factors (hop variety, boil time etc) and the last thing I want to go over is the water profile.
It has all base malt with wheat, but no caramel malts.

I bumped up the Caclium to above 50 as recomended for a good ferment.
I am not to sure whether more/less sulphate will be a good idea to make the bitterness a little cleaner.

Any ideas?

Existing Water (Adjusted water)
Calcium 3.0 (55.4)
Magnesium 2.0 (2.0)
Sodium 10.0 (10.0)
Sulfate 8.0 (75.0)
Chloride 10.0 (53.4)
Bicarbonate 2.0 (2.0)
Total Hardness 16 (147)
Alkalinity 2 (2)
RA -2 (-39)
SO4/Cl Ratio 0.8 (1.4)

Thanks,
Roo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
greatplainsbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnock01
Hi all,

I am brewing a American Pale Ale and find the Bitterness is a little harsh without adjusting the water.
I have gone through all of the factors (hop variety, boil time etc) and the last thing I want to go over is the water profile.
It has all base malt with wheat, but no caramel malts.

I bumped up the Caclium to above 50 as recomended for a good ferment.
I am not to sure whether more/less sulphate will be a good idea to make the bitterness a little cleaner.

Any ideas?

Existing Water (Adjusted water)
Calcium 3.0 (55.4)
Magnesium 2.0 (2.0)
Sodium 10.0 (10.0)
Sulfate 8.0 (75.0)
Chloride 10.0 (53.4)
Bicarbonate 2.0 (2.0)
Total Hardness 16 (147)
Alkalinity 2 (2)
RA -2 (-39)
SO4/Cl Ratio 0.8 (1.4)

Thanks,
Roo
I would up that sulfate level a lot, like to about 250 ppm. A little more calcium would not hurt either. I like Martin B's profile for pale ale on Bruunwater. I am also jealous of your existing water. You could build almost any water w/out distiller or ro water.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That water profile shouldn't lend itself to harsh bitterness, what that's a result of is usually a high bicarbonate concentration. I like Martin B's pale ale profile as well, except I've stopped trying to reach the bicarbonate concentration he prescribes. My bicarbonate is at 62 ppm, and I've found that just number matching all the other ions (except for calcium which obviously falls a little short since I'm not adding any carbonate) really lets the hops shine through. The spreadsheet is free to download, and I'd say it helps immensely with water adjustments (Bru'n Water, that is)

Bottled: RIS ; RIS 2 ; BDSA ; Tripel 3 ; English IPA 1 ; Session IPA 2 ; Saison 9 ; Singel 2 ; Porter 2
Kegged: empty

Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
That water profile shouldn't lend itself to harsh bitterness, what that's a result of is usually a high bicarbonate concentration. I like Martin B's pale ale profile as well, except I've stopped trying to reach the bicarbonate concentration he prescribes. My bicarbonate is at 62 ppm, and I've found that just number matching all the other ions (except for calcium which obviously falls a little short since I'm not adding any carbonate) really lets the hops shine through. The spreadsheet is free to download, and I'd say it helps immensely with water adjustments (Bru'n Water, that is)
You found that problem with the bicarbonate values! Yes, they are too high for the typical grist and color ratings for those beers and I've already revised those color-based profiles to provide a better starting guess for the bicarbonate concentration.

The bicarbonate concentration is stated as being a 'first guess' and that the brewer should ignore that value and let the requirements of the mash tell them what the proper bicarb concentration should be. But, that first guess should be closer! Those revised water profiles will be issued in the next version.

Enjoy!

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Quick Reply