Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water and pH for a partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
brackbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Water and pH for a partial mash

For a couple years now, I've been brewing using a partial mash method, with paying much attention to some of the finer points of what actually goes on in mashing. Only now, after re-reading some of my brewing lit. do I realize how important pH is, even for partial mashing, to get the most out of the bit of base malt that I does use.

I've also gotten into the habit of brewing using distilled water (read that somewhere too, I suppose). I'm gearing up to do a brown porter and was reading about acidity/tannins in the dark malts and just overall pH stuff for partial mashing. As long as I can keep the pH between 5.0 and 5.5 in the mash (looks like I'll probably have to have some calcium carbonate on hand), is using distilled water still a safe bet or should I be looking for something else (like spring water) to use in the mash?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not that I'm an expert but make sure you add some sort of yeast nutrient when using distilled water to help the yeast!

I see no problem (but again - I'm not an expert chemist).

BTW - 5.2 buffer will do wonders if you are doing a lighter brew.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply