Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water for Partial Mash Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
laserghost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Water for Partial Mash Russian Imperial Stout

Gonna bottle my first batch today and I want to pitch a Russian Imperial Stout on top of the yeast cake (used WLP 001). I want to do a partial mash, and my question is:

Do I need to be concerned about the water chemistry for the mash?

My recipe (4.6 gal batch) calls for 6.6lbs pale extract and for the mash, 6lbs of 2 row + about 3 lbs of specialty grains.

LHBS informed me that our tap water is on the soft side (Cambridge, MA). Should I try to adjust something for the mash, or will the extract take care of things?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Stephonovich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Soft water is [subjectively] good for a stout anyway, as long as you aren't going for a super dry, Guinness style. RIS, big and smooth - soft all the way.

So, no, I wouldn't worry about water salts. You need to have a good idea about what your mineral content is to begin with to do good adds, anyway.

Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply