New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water for Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 46

The heavy roast flavor is part of the style. You should probably include the roast malts for the entire mash. The high FG will balance the roast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #32
Johnnyboy1012
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Makes sense and that’s what I was thinking as well, but I do understand the reason for cold steeping or adding the roasted grains at the end of the mash. The main reason is to cut down the astringency that the roast malts give while leaving only the roast flavor. I am thinking that the roasted grains being mashed for the full 60 minutes would be appropriate for this beer specifically because I am trying to clone the beer.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #33
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do different brands of distilled water have small amounts of minerals? Or are all distilled water brands pure with absolutely nothing in it?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #34
ajdelange
Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy1012 View Post
The recipe I'm following says to mash at 150 so I was going to be shooting for that. I'm also going to be using WLP 002, English Ale Yeast...which I know isn't the best attenuator but I'm brewing a clone
150 should be fine. You don't want this to be a dry beer, I presume. With 70% attenuation you should wind up at about 7 °P and a bit under 9% ABV. And you'll probably get a bit more attenuation than that assuming a good pitch, proper oxygenation etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #35
ajdelange
Recipes 

Quote:
Do different brands of distilled water have small amounts of minerals? Or are all distilled water brands pure with absolutely nothing in it?
That depends. Even the purest water will pick up CO2 from the atmosphere very quickly. Otherwise it depends on whether the water is single, double or triple distilled, what the boiling vessel was made of, whether the water is in fact distilled or is RO water that has been passed through a cation/anion exchanger etc. If the package is labeled with the resistivity 18 MΩ-cm is as pure as you can get.

Tiny amounts of trace ions won't hurt you. In fact it is not necessary to use DI water. RO water with a TDS of a few ppm is sufficiently pure.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #36
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Huh? Baking soda doesn't have any Cl- in it.
Yeah, and I'm an engineer with plenty of chemistry... Mea Culpa.
2014 Gallons Brewed: 10
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvtschultzs-ebiab-build-finally-298407/

Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #37
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
That depends. Even the purest water will pick up CO2 from the atmosphere very quickly. Otherwise it depends on whether the water is single, double or triple distilled, what the boiling vessel was made of, whether the water is in fact distilled or is RO water that has been passed through a cation/anion exchanger etc. If the package is labeled with the resistivity 18 MΩ-cm is as pure as you can get.

Tiny amounts of trace ions won't hurt you. In fact it is not necessary to use DI water. RO water with a TDS of a few ppm is sufficiently pure.
Well the thing is I'm not sure where to find RO water so I figured diluting with store bought distilled water would be easier. Although I went to the local grocery store last night and all they had was spring water.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #38
ajdelange
Recipes 

Try health food stores, drug stores, upscale super markets... You aren't exactly in a remote area. I'm sure you'll find an RO machine somewhere.

I have, on occasion, forgotten to collect RO water until too late and wound up having to hit more than one local drugstore to buy them out of distilled water. I was never surprised when they offered free Thorazine samples.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I have, on occasion, forgotten to collect RO water until too late and wound up having to hit more than one local drugstore to buy them out of distilled water. I was never surprised when they offered free Thorazine samples.
HAHAHAH! But diluting with distilled and building up my Ca and Cl levels from there should work just fine right? And I know you said not to worry about my Cl to SO4 ratios, but would less than 20ppm be ok taste wise? I'm in the state of mind where I'm trying to brew the best beer I can without experimenting with the same batch and different mineral levels because of time, lack of funds, and space issues. That's why I am trying to get specific as I can with people who have done the experiments and finding out what they and others preferred in regards to water and mineral levels. Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #40
Stauffbier

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
That's why I am trying to get specific as I can with people who have done the experiments and finding out what they and others preferred in regards to water and mineral levels. Thanks again!
The only problem with this is the fact my water is different than yours and so are my personal tastes. You might like the taste of minerals that I don't. Hence, the need for personal experimenting...

Quick Reply