Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water to Grain Ratio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Mr. Mojo Rising
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Water to Grain Ratio

What has been the most successful ratio that homebrewers use here? I have not seen a good discussion on it. It will help me decide wheter to pull my mash out water from the intial mash water quantity or my sparge water, or whether to increase my total water quanity.

15 Gal Conical - The Three Nobles-German Pils
Secondary - The Comrade-Imperial Russian Stout
Tap 1 - The Goodness-APA
Tap 2 - The Unicorn-Honey Nut Brown
Tap 3 - The Blarney-Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1.25 quarts per pound of grain is the average.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
cefmel
Recipes 

I’ve been brewing 5 gallon batches for a while now and if I’m making a lighter beer with a starting gravity of around 40, it will take about 10 lbs of grain. I’ll heat 6 gallons of water to 185 deg F and set another 2 gallons aside at room temperature. Then I’ll start off with 2 gallons of the hot water in my 10 gallon Gott cooler which is my mash tun.

Start adding grain and stirring with a spoon. When things get so thick that you can no longer get the grain on top wet, add some more hot water. Try to get as much grain in with as little water as possible.

When all the grain is in, check the temperature and add hot or cool water to reach desired temp. 153 deg F for sweeter beers or 147 for dryer beers.

Hints: Its easier to cool down the mash than it is to warm it up, especially if you can not apply direct heat because you’re using a cooler for the mash. So aim high and be careful about adding cool water.

Once all the grain is in, do not over react to an initial high temp reading. It takes about 5 minutes of stirring for temps to even out – the initial temp of the cooler and all the other variables will conspire to bring the temperature down. So wait and stir for 5 minutes and then make your adjustments using hot or cool water.

The water to grain ratio may be 2.5 to three gallons of water for 10 lbs of grain. For me, the ideal mash will have enough water to soak all the grains but not so much that they are swimming around freely. Remember, for conversion of the starches to work, the enzymes must be in physical contact with the starches, so you don’t want to dilute things too much.

For rinsing the grains, I use the remaining 4 gallons of water and try to end up with 6 gallons of wort for my 5 gallon batch of beer. I louse about a gallon when initially transferring from the boiler to the primary fermenter.

For higher gravity beers, I will use more grain and rinse with more water. For a Bock beer, I may end up with 8 gallons of wort and then boil it for an hour to get it down to the 6 gallon mark before taking an OG reading.

I hope this will give you an idea of what the water to grain ratio should be, but it’s really more of an art than a science.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I use 1.25

Increasing or decreasing the ratio can affect fermentability - but only to a very small degree. Mash temp is much more critical.

GT

Old 11-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

2.61l/kg123456

Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

1.25 quarts/lb of grain most of the time.

It varies for me depending on the beer style from 1.0 - 1.5 qts/lb. I was just reading about making a helles and the book suggests the low end of 2 qts/lb grain up to 3.5 qts. That seems a little thin by my experience.

Dr Malt

Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually use 2.5L/KG but that can vary depending on how fermentable I'm trying to make my wort.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
2.61l/kg123456
Why don't you Brits use the English system of weights and measures? It's soooooo much simpler

Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 AM   #9
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Roughly 1.10. I like my mashes a little thicker for some reason. I just have always done it that way.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:54 AM   #10
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
Why don't you Brits use the English system of weights and measures?
Because they like dealing with the rest of the world.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Quick Reply