Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > water to grain ratio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
natehilde
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default water to grain ratio

I just did my first two batches of AG a few weeks ago. There are some things about it that are bothering me though.
What is the importance of ensuring the proper water to grain ratio. I understand that if it is too little you will have more of a paste than a mash, but what is so bad about having too much water in the mash?
Also, after dough-in, how many times should you stir the mash? Should you minimize stirring to reduce heat losses?
Thanks
Nate

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

If you have too much water, you can end up extracting too much tannins, as well as the problem of having too much of a volume before you get a complete sparge, depending on how big your kettle is. Typically, I'll stir my mash once at about 30 minutes, that usually seems to be sufficient.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Thalon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer in How To Brew
The grist/water ratio is another factor influencing the performance of the mash. A thinner mash of >2 quarts of water per pound of grain dilutes the relative concentration of the enzymes, slowing the conversion, but ultimately leads to a more fermentable mash because the enzymes are not inhibited by a high concentration of sugars. A stiff mash of <1.25 quarts of water per pound is better for protein breakdown, and results in a faster overall starch conversion, but the resultant sugars are less fermentable and will result in a sweeter, maltier beer. A thicker mash is more gentle to the enzymes because of the lower heat capacity of grain compared to water. A thick mash is better for multirest mashes because the enzymes are not denatured as quickly by a rise in temperature.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-6.html

Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, good to know! Thanks for the help. I guess I will see how these batches turn out. It can't be too bad, it's still beer.

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I think the primary reason to keep the mash water in the volume range suggested is to ensure a sufficient concentration of enzymes. If you dilute it too much then the enzymes will be less effective and your efficiency will suffer. In addition you will not have as much sparge water which further reduces efficiency.
Craig

Old 08-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Mash thickness has an impact on alpha- and beta-amalyse activity, somewhat like the impact of mash temp but less dramatic. IIRC, thin mashes tend to produce a slightly more fermentable wort. I tend to stick to around 1.25 qts/lb, pretty much a medium thickness, and work with the temperature variable for fermentability. I will add some sparge water prior to taking my first runnings to loosen things up a bit, though.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply