Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water Filtration, good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #21
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I don't use my tap water because I have a salt-based water softener + chlorine + who knows what else (tried it once...worst brew to date). Up to this point I have used RO water for extract batches, but I'm getting into all grain. So I'd like to post a follow-on question in this thread...

For all grain brewing, no particular style in mind, if I start with de-ionized, filtered water (basically 0 ppm of any dissolved solids - I can buy this locally in 5 gallon jugs, and they have the analysis to back up the claim of zero dissolved minerals), and I use the pH 5.2 buffer that some of us are raving about, are there any other desirable mineral/salt additions that I might consider?
DI (DeIonized) water is good for Iorn's and a Spot free rinse when washing glass wear. I don't think yeast will like that too much, if you used DI water you will have to add all the necessary minerals in the proper amount, mg,Ca,Na, Fe... if you figure out the mineral content of your tap water you and figure out what typs of beer this will be best for. e.g. high Ca++ is good for ales and porters, where low Ca++ is good for lagers. but desolved minerals are esential. you would be better of finding a well water source or use bottled drinking water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #22
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I don't use my tap water because I have a salt-based water softener + chlorine + who knows what else (tried it once...worst brew to date). Up to this point I have used RO water for extract batches, but I'm getting into all grain. So I'd like to post a follow-on question in this thread...

For all grain brewing, no particular style in mind, if I start with de-ionized, filtered water (basically 0 ppm of any dissolved solids - I can buy this locally in 5 gallon jugs, and they have the analysis to back up the claim of zero dissolved minerals), and I use the pH 5.2 buffer that some of us are raving about, are there any other desirable mineral/salt additions that I might consider?
MoreBeer sells Instant Water for just such uses as you contemplate. It's not terribly expensive, but for AG you'll use more than 5 gallons of water, so somewhere between $1.25 to $2.50 per batch.

I bet if you search, you can find out what the mineral composition of the water from the various beer-making regions is and make up your own modifiers from bulk minerals, and probably save a heap of money.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 AM   #23
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked169
DI (DeIonized) water is good for Iorn's and a Spot free rinse when washing glass wear. I don't think yeast will like that too much, if you used DI water you will have to add all the necessary minerals in the proper amount, mg,Ca,Na, Fe... if you figure out the mineral content of your tap water you and figure out what typs of beer this will be best for. e.g. high Ca++ is good for ales and porters, where low Ca++ is good for lagers. but desolved minerals are esential. you would be better of finding a well water source or use bottled drinking water.
Yup, I know I need to add some minerals if I start with none. I guess the real question is, how much mineral benefit am I getting from the pH 5.2 buffer? The buffer should take care of mash efficiency, but will the yeast benefit from additional minerals/salts?

Old 10-09-2006, 03:21 AM   #24
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Yup, I know I need to add some minerals if I start with none. I guess the real question is, how much mineral benefit am I getting from the pH 5.2 buffer? The buffer should take care of mash efficiency, but will the yeast benefit from additional minerals/salts?
Well I’m not sure of the composition of the 5.2pH buffer you are using, but I'd imagine it is a Phosphate buffer because that is what is most common in a Laboratory setting, so it will have Phosphate and Sodium but that might be about it, and you will need to add Ca, magnesium,and sulfates, wich is not too dificult . Beer for breakfast has a good point about the instant water product, if you want to customize your water to a specific regional style of beer.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #25
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I think it's a Five Star product, and yes, it's a phosphate buffer. I guess I was hoping that it was a cure all for adding minerals to brew water. You guys have answered my question...I'll still need to start with a decent water profile for the style I brew. I'll go back to Palmer's "nomograph" and Beer Smith's "Water Profile" tool to dial in a decent mineral content, kinda like beer4breakfast suggested. Thanks guys!

Hope I didn't hijack the thread...

Quick Reply