Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water Filtration, good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
jpuf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water Filtration, good or bad?

Hi,
What's the poop on water filtration. I know trace minerals are essential to produce a tasty brew, and I know books have been written on their various effects. Without getting overly complicated (I'm chemistry impaired) is there a type of filter that will remove chlorine, sediment etc. without comprimising flavor?
Thanks,

Jpuf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

The only filter that removes chlorine is activated charcoal. This will remove just about everything else as well. If you have a chlorine problem let the water stand for a day before brewing.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Teedocious
Recipes 

But wait - there's more...

You need to know if you have chlorine or chloramine. Chloramine isn't going to be filtered out. I've got quite high chloramine, and now I treat my water with 1 tablet of campden for 10 gallons (camden is SUPER cheap so don't worry if you need it).

When I started doing this my beer got significantly better.

If you've got chlorine, you can let your water sit out for a day, or you can filter almost all of it out with a activated carbon filter. (the setup would cost about $50).

Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
3rd and Long

Recipes 

I 've brewed with tap, bottled and filtered water. At the end of the day you need to ask yourself how much you like the taste of your water supply. I find that where I live, the mildly alkaline water and not too much trace chemicals (ie: Cl) results in a very nice brew without filtration, and I don't mind it out of the tap either.

Your city should be able to provide you with a general profile of what your drinking water supply contains.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

If you do AG water hardness etc beocmes more important.

Those Charcoal filters do not filter minerals unless they are very low on the micron scale. Most chlorine fitlers are 5 microns. In fact, I'm pretty sure you need to distill to be mineral free. Metals can be filtered but need a small micron sized filter to do so.

Activated charcoal absorbs chemicals but does not "filter" them per say. They are basically 10, 5 or 1 micron

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 09-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #6
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
The only filter that removes chlorine is activated charcoal. This will remove just about everything else as well. If you have a chlorine problem let the water stand for a day before brewing.
Letting it stand for a day won't help in the case of chloramines, which, unfortunately, a vast majority of water systems have switched too. It's more stable than chlorine so it's better in their eyes and cheaper in the long run. Unfortunately, it's harder to elimate it easily.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
You need to know if you have chlorine or chloramine. Chloramine isn't going to be filtered out. I've got quite high chloramine, and now I treat my water with 1 tablet of campden for 10 gallons (camden is SUPER cheap so don't worry if you need it).
These days you can just about bet that any municipal or rural water supply has chloramines. That is because they are very hard to remove. However,
MATRIKX® +CTO/2 filters in a dual or triple configuration will effectively reduce chloramines to an acceptable level at about 1 GPM. These filters will do the best job for the $. I spent 16 years as a licensed water treatment dealer and this is the best filter system for the removal of chloramines. The reason for a double or triple inline filter system is for additional contact time to remove chloramines while not having to buy a very expensive single filter that will remove chloramines. The single filter designed to remove chloramines is so dense it will plug up with particles rapidly and have to be replaced. In the double and triple filter system you will only plug the first filter and it will not plug on most water for thousands of gallons. I have provided links for a couple of suppliers.

http://www.purewater4u.com/store/kiss.shtml $10.00 each

http://filtersprings.com/filterscd.html $10.61 each - free shipping

Dual & Triple filter housings as shown minus the faucet can be purchased at some plumbing supplies, hardware stores or water treatment dealers and can be connected by various means. I use a triple filter system personally as I am somewhat anal.

Quote:
It will not remove "just about everything as well". Carbon filtration, no matter how tight the micron rating is, will not remove any disolved minerals, and at 10 microns, which is the nominal rating of the CTO 10/2, it will remove almost no bacteria and no viruses. It will remove most chemicals in low concentrations if enough contact time is given. And just to clarify, minerals in water that are not dissolved will settle out even if dipped directly from the river. Municipal sources are filtered to remove suspended material.

Letting the water stand for a day will remove chlorine if conditions are right. (in a cold, dark place it will not, in the sun on a warm day/warm water it disperses rapidly.)

However, chloramines will not come out of solution in any resonable time. The is why it is now used for disinfection as someone already pointed out. It is far more stable than chlorine.

As to Campden Tabs, they will work. I will not use more chemical solutions than I have to.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 10-02-2006, 02:05 AM   #8
Teedocious
Recipes 

Campden tablets are 20 for $1 at the LHBS. I use 1 tablet for 10 gallons of water.

I think I perfer that over a multiple inline filtration system that needs filters replaced every 6 months - 1 year at $20-30 each.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 AM   #9
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I know Campden tablets are used in Wine making...... completely ignorant in why they would be used in brewing beer though.....

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 10-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Call me paranoid, but I never trusted the "Brita" or "PUR" style filter systems.

If I got anything, it would be reverse osmosis. Any kind words for that system oh water gods?

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Quick Reply